Borates too high?

May 6, 2008
Arizona
I added borax to my pool per the sticky' instructions (great guide!). I have a 13,000 gal pool, and I added nine boxes of borax, which would bring my borate level to 45-50 according to the pool calculator. Now when I test it with some test strips, it seems like my borate level is 80! (The strips I got seem very difficult to read, I ordered some new strips of a different brand to verify.)

My question is, what is the harm if my borate level is indeed 80? Is it dangerous? Should we stay out of the pool?

80 ppm is what is often recommended for biguanide pools so you are fine. I assume you have either Proteam, Aquachek, or Bioguard teststrips. They all use shades of tan that are very difficult to read. The Lamotte uses shades of pink that are much easier to read.

Yeah, it is a proteam test strip. The tan indicators are VERY difficult to tell apart, especially since it gets lighter, and then darker as the level goes up.

I just ordered some Lamotte ones, so hopefully it will be easier.

Good news about 80 not being dangerous (just in case).

Thanks for the input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.