DE filters - need more than backwashing? or no?

I am almost afraid to ask this as I figure it is a super basic question, but I am really new to this pool stuff. I closed on a house with a pool that has probably not been maintained correctly for some time. All equipment is running well from what the inspectors told me, and my own experience so far. I have backwashed the filter and added more DE (yes, I feel brilliant for figuring that out all by myself). The pool inspector told me that I didn't need to do anything more than that with the filter. I have had several pool contractors out to give me bids on updating pool and figuring out a cleaning system. The last guy out asked me when my filter was broken down and cleaned. Of course I looked at him like he was speaking another language (which always makes the contractors eyes bug out in the shape of dollar signs so I try to avoid doing that). He is bidding a tear down and cleaning of the filter. He is the only one that even mentioned it.

So, is this something that needs to be done if everything seems to be going OK? And if this is something that can be done, is this possibly a DIY project? I hate paying contractors to do something that I can do myself without too much trouble. How often should it be done?

Thanks y'all. I don't know what I would do without you!

That's the way I do mine all the time. If you keep the pool algae free and don't get a lot of fine, wind blown debris you should only have to clean the grids once per season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.