[Completed] Resurfacing - Palm Harbor, FL

May 28, 2012
Evening! Our family is looking to resurface our pool from marcite to PebbleTec/PebbleSheen. We've asked a few PebbleTec authorized retailers to come by and give us some quotes for resurfacing in addition to other items on the wish list. I wanted to run a few things by the group since this will be the first major item we've ever worked on in our home.

Renovator #1
  • $4200 - Pebblesheen Interior Finish including all drain/prep work, covers and fittings replaced, chemical balancing
    $2075 - 6x6 Waterline Tile and 2x6 Cap Tile

Renovator #2
  • $4251 - PebbleSheen Finish
    $435 - 2 Part Bond Kote Adhesion
    $95 - New return fittings and VGBA main drain cover
    $150 - Equipment fire up and full chemical balance
    $2408 - Waterline and Cap Tile

On the surface, it seems like quote #1 would be our best deal but I'm concerned with hidden costs that quote #2 would appear to list in addition to the finish.

I'm assuming PebbleTec requires the renovators to perform the chemical re-balancing for warranty purposes?

The cost for tile in general seems so expensive. We currently have concrete decking which we would love to transition to pavers but I think is too costly right now. I've heard of some folks having the renovators do coping instead of the cap tiles and then the homeowners DIYing the pavers but that scares me, especially since I need to "float" the pavers to even out the junction between the pool deck and lanai. How difficult would it be as a DIY project?

Renvoator #2 also recommended adding on something called trim tile "mud caps" on underwater steps and benches. I'm assuming that's similar to coping but on the stairs/seated areas?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. If anyone's in the Tampa Bay area and would like to recommend a pool renovator/resurfacer, by all means let me know. Seems the PebbleTec cost is on point for this area though. Thanks!

Re: Resurfacing - Palm Harbor, FL

The other possibility, rather more likely, is that renovator #2 simply charges more and likes to spread the costs across more lines on the bid in the hope that you won't notice how large the price difference really is that way (no one large number to turn you off).

If you look closely, renovator #1 basically says they are doing the exact same list of things, just in fewer words and without charging as much. Bond kote is prep work, and Equipment fire up is just priming the pump and switching a switch, which you surely know how to do yourself.

I think you're right. I'm still waiting for a third quote to come in for additional comparisons but it's nice to see prices around the same range. My next question would be, how much, if anything, could I gain from sort of pitting the companies against each other to see if they can lower their prices, ala something similar to car dealerships going at one another for one's business?

Had another quick question for those that may have gone through something similar. We're looking at converting our concrete deck to a paver system. Do builders demo out the existing deck, or would they use thin pavers over the concrete? Thanks!

Realize that the installers of Pebble Tec products must be approved by them. So often pool companies are subtracting the actual install. If you go to the PT website, you can see who the actual installers are and hiring direct to them can be cheaper.

That is what I did ... only one installer in Tucson, but many pool companies that would sub to them.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
Realize that the installers of Pebble Tec products must be approved by them. So often pool companies are subtracting the actual install. If you go to the PT website, you can see who the actual installers are and hiring direct to them can be cheaper.

That is what I did ... only one installer in Tucson, but many pool companies that would sub to them.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Hah! Never thought of that actually. There's a single installer in the area so I'll hit them up. Thanks for the idea!

I think I'm currently facing estimate overload. I have three estimates so far but had a fourth come out this afternoon. The renovator/paver group were curious if I was interested in generic, or off brand pebble products, vs. PebbleTec. I've searched the forums but can't find anything concrete (or marcite, gunite... :lol:). For those of you that went with an offbrand pebble product, do you regret not getting PebbleTec? Any issues? It's tempting to go with an off brand product if the price is right and upgrade our deck to a paver surface with a real drain instead of this french/rock drain currently in place. I'm wondering if I'm also stalling by bringing folks out... sigh. Thanks!

Yes, it's green. Yes, I am ashamed. Not much we could have done about it though other than chucking some bleach in there as temporary relief.

IMG_20130528_083348.jpg

IMG_20130528_130246.jpg

This is what I was hoping I WOULDN'T see... sigh...Pool beams to be repaired/pinned

IMG_20130528_130254.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: [Under Construction] Resurfacing - Palm Harbor, FL

Framing for the concrete beam pour... yeah, this isn't terribly exciting.

IMG_20130531_155712.jpg

IMG_20130531_155717.jpg

Concrete pour on Tuesday. Coping/tiling to begin hopefully Wednesday through Friday. Interior gets sprayed right after, weee! 14 days until the gang can swim in their pebble fishbowl!

Thanks to TS Andrea, we lost about 4 days worth of work time. I've seen worse storms in February, but anywho...

Finally have concrete for the beam repairs. Tiling/coping to start hopefully Monday/Tuesday!

IMG_20130607_104323.jpg

IMG_20130607_104349.jpg

IMG_20130607_104326.jpg

teamhurtado said:
This is what I was hoping I WOULDN'T see... sigh...Pool beams to be repaired/pinned
IMG_20130528_130254.jpg

It's hard to tell what's going on in this picture. Was the bond beam disintegrated? What caused it to be that far gone? Or was it that the decking was gone and needed to be filled in?

Are they putting the pebble finish right on top of the old plaster or do they need to chip away the old plaster first?

Bond beam just crumbled. The decking had a substantial amount of cracking from 20+ years since it was installed. When they chipped away the cap/waterline tiles, the bond beam broke apart. They finally pinned and poured concrete today to prepare for the bullnose coping.

From what I understand, they will chip away anything that's hollow, bond kote the interior, then apply the Stonescapes (went generic pebble). I suspect that they will be chipping away a good chunk of interior though since it flakes off the second you touch it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.