What specs do I look for re: buried AGP

Jan 21, 2013
I have spent hours on this site and I'm still not clear on it all.

We want to bury an AGP. At least 3/4 of the way or close. We want the most pool for our money but safety and quality are more important. I'd like a pool that will last us a while since this is a big project for us (BTW, this is a self install...DH is handy and has many handy friends).

So I'm looking at pools that are rated as semi-inground but I'm not seeing how that makes them better than some other pools (not SI rated) with similar specs. I feel like I'm paying for them to say, "yes, we will allow you to bury this."

So my question is, what is necessary for a buried AGP regarding material of uprights, walls, etc.?

Also, if we wanted to buy the pool at one place and later buy a pump at another, is there any caveat to that?

I'm hoping to spend about $2k or so on pool, liner, pump, filter, and stairs. Would love to hear any comments on that budget.

Thanks so much!

What size pool are you looking for?
The biggest problem is warranty,if the pool manufacturer says it's OK to bury an above ground pool 12" and you bury it 24" you'll void your warranty.How far you can bury a pool is unique to each manufacturer/pool model.

http://www.doughboy-pools.com/Products/ ... round.aspx Probably not going to come in under budget.

You could buy a 24'x54"round pool,liner,Filter & ladder for $2000-$2500.That wouldn't include site prep,sand,electrical work or shipping.

Funny, I was just reading some of your old posts!

I'm just wondering how important a warranty is. Especially if I'm doing a home install. If a DIY is an automatic void, then I have more pools to choose from.

I'm looking at 3 pools right now.
Poolfactory has a SI rated Quest w liner for 1785.
Poolsupplyworld has the sharkline Venture w liner for 1660
It also has the Matrix for 1770.

All 24 x 54 and all seem to be of similar structure. What will it all boil down to?

A DIY doesn't necessarily void your warranty.

"What will it all boil down to?" It boils down to"Can the pool structure support the weight of the soil/fill pushing in on the water filled structure,will the structure handle corrison due to it being buried.Also if you bury it you may not be able to drain the pool without it collapsing.(difficult to replace a liner)
I'm not trying to dissuade you I just want you to see the whole picture.

Right. So what's to say the non SI rated are any worse than the SI rated?

Really, what I want to know is what are the basics for a pool to be buried? So many inch posts, this kind of coated wall, etc.

About the only thing that says whether or not you can semi bury an above ground pool is the manufacterer,local codes and you.
Some of the Semi-inground pools have a little heavier wall,but not all of them.

Well, mine is 52" deep and it is stated in the warranty that it is allowed to be buried up to two feet deep. There are also specifications regarding the type of backfill and how it is done. I don't think there's gonna be much difference in any steel wall pool you choose except the warranty and their rules regarding burying it. READ THE WARRANTY!

Thanks for everyone's comments. I've picked out the 24' x 54' Sharkline Heritage or Venture, but I'm leaning toward the Venture because of the resin ledge. Any solid reason to pick the Matrix over either of those?

I've also tentatively picked out the Hayward Power-Flo 1HP 2s pump, Pentair SD60 filter, coving, and gorilla pad. Or should we get the Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2s pump to match the filter - does that really matter? Also, I live in middle GA where it gets hot as Hades and we may not close a pool, so is sand the best option for a filter?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vettechick99 said:
I've also tentatively picked out the Hayward Power-Flo 1HP 2s pump, Pentair SD60 filter, coving, and gorilla pad.
The SD60 is right on the edge of being well sized for your pool. We recomend a minimum of 2.5 sq. ft. sand filter for your proposed ~13500 gallon pool, so the SD60 at 2.3 sq. ft. is pretty close.

Vettechick99 said:
Or should we get the Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2s pump to match the filter - does that really matter?
No need to keep the same manufacturer, but you can find the SD60/ dynamo 1.5 hp 2 speed as a combo for a good price.

Vettechick99 said:
Also, I live in middle GA where it gets hot as Hades and we may not close a pool, so is sand the best option for a filter?
You will find many opinions on this. Do you commonly have water restrictions? What is your fill water source...is it high in metals including iron and/or calcium? Are you planning on using a swg? I personally like sand, but answers to the above questions might sway towards one type or another.

What stairs are these? Custom?

above-ground-wooden-swimming-pool-5980-1750547.jpg

Those are pretty cool steps vettechick. I've never seen an above ground pool in that shape.

[/quote]You will find many opinions on this. Do you commonly have water restrictions? What is your fill water source...is it high in metals including iron and/or calcium? Are you planning on using a swg? I personally like sand, but answers to the above questions might sway towards one type or another.[/quote]

I have city water so occasionally we will have water restrictions, but we've had a lot of rain this year and the rivers are overfilled, so I don't think we'll have any this year. We haven't in a few years. If we do, we can water only on certain days, but we can still do some watering. IDK if we have high iron or calcium. I do not plan to use a SWG.

And I haven't seen many people talk about a timer, but I would need one unless I wanted to manually turn on my pump right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.