Rounding the Corner... Install Completed 7/27/13

Re: Rounding the Corner to a New Pool Build

So, after himming and hawing over this hillside for the last 3 months, I have made the executive decision to not dig the whole thing out. I'm sure some of you are wondering how in tarnation I'm going to get a 24ft pool on site with this hill. I've talked to people and I've told them of the site and showed pictures and what not and what I'm about to do needs to be done slowly, methodically and with purpose. I can not rush this or it may come back 10 fold and bite me hard.

I'm ordering 24tons of 2A Modified crush and building up the low end. I have even had my husband look at me like I had a head full of rocks but that hill side... it's bigger than I am and as my brother said, YOU CAN'T STOP THE EARTH FROM MOVING! I'm going to surrender to it but on my terms.

My layout and plans are as followed:

I don't know why this white paint is so faint but that's what I was told to use by 811. You can see it if you get yer face way close to the monitor or phone! lol I'm standing by the back corner of the garage and looking down. What you see is a 28ft diameter circle with the top end squared for dig out. The only thing I'm having dug out is the top half of the pool, down to 3ft-3.5ft MAX!!! If hubby goes any deeper, he's fired from the machine! I'm serious.

Now for the bottom. You will notice a break line in the middle of the bottom section. This line will be dug down 12 inches to create a step where the 2A Crush will be laid and built up. I'm using the break line to give the crush a solid base to sit on and not slide down the hill. ALL dirt from dig out will lay on the outside of the 28ft circle and be compacted up the slope of crusher as the low end is built up.

the crusher will be laid in 3"-6" lifts and gone over with a plate compactor that I'm renting.

I think it will work as long as I take my time and do it right. :goodjob: The more I thought about digging that hill side out completely, the more apprehensive I felt about it. I have too much at stake if it gives way which could take years if it wanted to let loose!!! I have a road above the pool and a home right below the pool, not to mention anyone else using the pool. I feel I would be done for if disaster would strike and I don't feel like gambling on it.

I'm seriously afraid to see what 24tons of crusher looks like because it's being delivered in one load with a tri-axle. :shock:

Can anyone say... BLISTERS?!!!! Cuz that's what I'm going to have by the time it's all said and done. :|

Excavator is on it's way!

The two guys got it done! They worked from 8-3 n slayed the hill. I have a lot of pics but I'm still working n I'll post some after I take a shower! I have a lot of work to do before the pool goes up!

Casey said:
The two guys got it done! They worked from 8-3 n slayed the hill. I have a lot of pics but I'm still working n I'll post some after I take a shower! I have a lot of work to do before the pool goes up!

Yay!! I can't wait to see your pics!

Yesterday, with threats of rain... it turned out to be a beautiful morning to dig hillside out!!!

She's here!!! Arrived at 8am and hubby was digging by 8:15!

And we're off to make the biggest mess I've ever participated in!!! :mrgreen:

There was so much dirt, we had to push it down.

Ladies... this excavator is HAWT! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

And the manual labor begins... I have a lot of work to do!!! My husband thinks I'm nuts after I told him I now have to dig down and remove more dirt by hand. We did not spend all this money to throw a pool up and have it sink and settle.

I've got a mess and I have to get the neighbor's yard looking better. They were very understanding and willing to let me push some of this dirt onto their yard. I have to plant grass and make it look nice. I told her yesterday if the grass doesn't take over the summer, I'll plant some in the fall.

Trying to clean up the neighbor's yard before the rain comes. Got the rake out and started pulling down the chunks and cleaning up the rotten chunks of stump.

And here we are, this morning after a lot of rain. I tried hard to get her yard looking decent before the rain.

Slope from back porch of house.

I think that should do it for pics for right now. I think they guys did a great job, they had a blast playing in the dirt!

While hubby was on the excavator, my brother said, I bet you never dreamed of putting a pool here on this hillside! Actually, I told him, I would sit out here and and get lost in thought about putting a pool here. I have hours of planning this pool build tied up in my brain. 3 years worth of nothing but thinking how I would pound this hillside into submission and build a backyard oasis!!!

My plans had changed when I realized half way through digging the slope that I have to push that dirt down to the bottom of the yard! There was just oooooo much and has since change my game plan in regards to pushing the soil up the slope of crusher I was going to use for a pad. I am still ordering the crusher.

I believe, and I'd like any input from you guys, that what I need to do is dig down about 3" on the low side and start leveling toward the slope working with a 26ft circle. Rent a plate compactor and run it over the dirt base and then bring the crusher in and start compacting that in 3"-6" lifts and build up my base for the pool to sit on.

Any input or thoughts you can add would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm all ears!!!

Jeff, There was a LOT! Over 3ft. They ran it over but that is not enough to prevent settling! Hence why I meed to re dig the pool pad and use a plate compactor on the pad before I had crush.

Ok just so we're going to compact the dirt. The dirt shouldn't be any thicker than 6 to 8 inch lifts either. You wanna make sure that dirt is well compacted. I'm sure you know. Just reminding ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I seriously need to dig down, and run the plate over it.

I'm reading this and my impression is that you are one prepared person, I think your plan is on the more ambitious side of things and you have clearly thought this thru and have a well thought plan of attack. I hope this challenge works out to your satisfaction and when you get it all done you should buy yourself a luxury dinner, you will deserve it!!

I've seen pics from a pool owner here that did something similar, their pool was on a slope and it was primarily raised up, it was professionally done and looked very nice.

cramar said:
I'm reading this and my impression is that you are one prepared person, I think your plan is on the more ambitious side of things and you have clearly thought this thru and have a well thought plan of attack. I hope this challenge works out to your satisfaction and when you get it all done you should buy yourself a luxury dinner, you will deserve it

To have a pool here, one must be ambitious because anything else just isn't good enough! Like I said earlier... I have a lot of thought tied up in this build n I truly want to go the DIY route because I want it done right. It's one thing my dad always taught me n that is, if you want it done right, DO IT YOURSELF! Besides... I hate wasting money! :mrgreen:

I need a few days of dry weather to get started! PLEASE STOP RAINING!!! We've had enough!!! Send lots of :sunny: !!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.