Pulled the trigger, it's all on it's way.

tjroux

Sep 1, 2012
Gardiner, ME
24 ft Sharkline Matrix
Waterway 2 spd pump and filter
25 guage Unibead liner ( based on my pool installers suggestions )
I put an add on craigslist... got a few replies from local pool installers that install for the local dealers.
I spent about 8 months researching, asking questions and you all have been most helpful.
Pool builder is cool enough to let me work with him on pool install ( -200$ off )
Pool builder will also let me pre level site for him to save an additional 400$
Total Cost for install? 850$.

Re: Pulled the trigger, it's all no it's way.

Congrats! Now, you can spend all that saved money on "cool ones" while you are floating in your new pool this summer! We hope you'll post some pics when you start to build...we all love to see them.

Sounds like you've planned things out well, make sure you've got everything needed to get the site level, leveling is by far the most important part of the whole thing. I used a 4' level strapped to a 2x6x12 (one without a crowned edge) and it worked very well, good low cost solution.

Congrats.

Everything came in yesterday ( few misc parts being shipped fed ex still on their way ) Found 2 bottom plates that were damaged... waiting on RMA for those. Poolsupplyworld has been very helpful so far.

I ordered my pool from PSW on Thursday and it should be here by Monday! :shock: Good luck on your build! Don't forget the pics!!! :mrgreen:

PSW quickly turned around and sent me the parts ( havent had a chance to update this thread ) finally all the snow is gone... going to get the contractor here in the next week or so to plan this out and get solid estimates. CANNOT WAIT! My son doesnt care how cold it is, he wants to go for a swim!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So Here is my idea ( help me out with details )
I have some left over Metal roofing ( way more than we'll need for this project )
Galvanized...
My Thought is... i have a 6x8 shed coming ( pool filter house, small changing station, storage for some toys )
Take metal roofing and install on roof, 2nd layer of metal roofing at increased angel ( possibly painted black ) with Coiled Pex Tubing for solar heater... This will A. Angel heater towards sun ( might be movable in the future ) B. Create some dead space between heater and roof so we dont turn the shed into an oven.
24ft above ground pool with a 2spd 1hp pump. I plan on having this setup on the return with valves for easy shut by-pass.

Im not looking to make the pool a lobster pot, but in late april early may this ( I would think ) add 1-2 degrees per day of temp to the pool while the solar cover is on as well ( possibly more heat )

Thoughts? Concerns?

I can't see it having any effect on the water, it certainly won't be a lobster pot - not even close.

The main thing about solar heat is volume - the temperature coming out the end isn't the main thing, it's about pushing as much water as possible quickly thru as much panel as possible, so alot of water that's a bit warmer is better than a little bit of hot water.
I have a 20' pool with 160 sq feet of panel and they do make a difference, your looking at something like 50 sq feet for a 24' pool - it's just not gonna make much of a difference.
The general concensus is something like the area of solar panel should be at least 50% of the surface area of the pool, something like that anyways. Plus, the retail kit tubing is small so they allow for better heat transfer, using larger tubing will reduce the heat transfer.

I spent alot of time researching DIY solar heat but, after much reading here, ended up with a retail solution. I guess if you really have no room for a standard kit that's a different thing though.

My quick math says you need at least 225 sq feet of panel to get some bang for your buck, that's based on the 50% of surface area opinion, the further below that you are you'll need to have proper expectation of performance.

Alot of DIY sites have anectodal evidence: the water coming out is hotter than pool water so it must be working, moving beyond that one needs to appreciate water turn over rate (hours and volumes) efficiency of heat exchange, effects of other conditions on pool water besides solar heat (solar blanket, sun directly on pool, etc) to properly assess performance.

Not trying to discourage, just pass along some of what I personally learned here.

Our Deck story:
We had budgeted 1500$ for a 10x12 deck ( small, enough to jump in and out and store some stuff on ) Also planned on a Stone Patio for picnic table/grill/patio furniture
I came across a deck today on CL, 100% pressure treated, 5 years old.... 20x20 for 75$... yes 75$ all I have to do is take it apart... worth it
Im sure the deck boards arent in the best of shape ( covered in deck carpet ) but the rest of it is solid, not a spot of rot and it's already stained and looks MINT ( I am picky )
Anyone do anything with used decks before? Anything to do? Planning?
Crow Bar, Sawz All, Cordless drills, cordless impact, blades, gloves...
Anything else? Buds, Budweiser, and a truck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.