Black stain with chlorine

Mar 5, 2013
Hi, I live in PR. I have been using pristine blue with my pool but have gotten lots of stains (blue and black) on its white finish. Also I think it has eaten up my finish. Last night I dicided to stop using pritine blue and as soon as I added chlorine and the chlorine got to the floor of the poolit got stained black. Can someone tell me what happened? Will the stains go away?

Welcome to TFP!

Pristine Blue contains copper. Copper is prone to staining the pool surface. The stains can be any of several colors. Black stains are the most difficult to remove.

Stains tend to form any time the copper level is high enough and the PH goes up at all. Adding chlorine raises the PH temporarily, the PH will go back down as the chlorine gets consumed, but for a short while, especially as it is being added, the PH goes up.

What kind of surface do you have: plaster, fiberglass, vinyl, etc?

The best way to remove copper stains from a plaster pool is a full drain and manual acid wash. There are other approaches, but they aren't nearly as reliable.

In the mean time, keep the PH down around 7.0 to 7.3, which will minimize any additional staining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.