Pump & filter recommendations for 28' Matrix

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Getting close to ordering our first pool and equipment. The more I research about pumps and filters, the more confused I get. Do you have any recommendations for a pump & filter for a 28' Sharkline Matrix? Is it best to buy the pump and filter separately or sold as a combo?
I have been leaning toward a Pentair SD80 sand filter but would like any other suggestions to consider. Thanks!

As mentioned in your other thread, the SD80 is a good match for your pool. Since it is a fairly large pool, it is unlikely you will find a large enough filter that is sold as a combo. Again, we would recommend a minimum 3.2 sq.ft. filter for your ~18000 gallon pool. And as mentioned, we would recommend a 2-speed pump.

For pumps either the Pentair dynamo or Hayward matrix 1 hp 2-speeds would be good choices.

Trying to understand the reasoning behind the recommendations. What are the advantages of a 2 spd. pump? What makes a 1 hp more recommended than a 1-1/2hp pump? This is all new to me, so please forgive any dumb questions I may have.

Good questions! :-D
afreil said:
What are the advantages of a 2 spd. pump?
Low flow rates are generally better for filtering and also require significantly less power. In most cases running 2X time on the low speed filters the same amount of water at ~1/2 the power that you would use if filtering 1X time on high speed. So it ends up saving money :goodjob:

afreil said:
What makes a 1 hp more recommended than a 1-1/2hp pump?
Generally, lower speed is better for filter efficiency. It is a fallacy that bigger is better with pool pumps. The only time larger pumps are warranted is when some water feature requires it (spa jets, waterfalls, etc.).

Keep the questions coming :wave:

Yes.
You can mix/match your pump/filter brands(as long as the ratings are compatable) ,although sometimes you can get a better deal when you buy the same brand filter and pump from the same vendor at the same time.(promo's)

CB is right on with his answers.

It is the "effective filtration area".

You definitely can mix and match pumps and filters (if you do not buy a combo obviously). I have a Hayward pump and Pentair filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.