Kill the algae or get CYA in the pool

wyntyrose

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Phenix City, AL
After all the rains we had last month my chemistry is screwy to say the least. All through last summer I had a horrible time with CYA and now that I have algae and no CYA I want to know should i kill the algae first then work on getting the CYA up to good levels for a salt system. I am working on killing the algae but then got to thinking hmmmmm should I be getting this CYA up and then on to the kill or vice versa.
Thanks

wyntyrose said:
After all the rains we had last month my chemistry is screwy to say the least. All through last summer I had a horrible time with CYA and now that I have algae and no CYA I want to know should i kill the algae first then work on getting the CYA up to good levels for a salt system. I am working on killing the algae but then got to thinking hmmmmm should I be getting this CYA up and then on to the kill or vice versa.
Thanks
Both.

If you don't have some CYA in the water, the sun will degrade the bleach before it has a chance to work. So you should get 20-30- ppm CYA in the water. Adjust pH, then ignore it until the shock proccess is done.
turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Well the pool is almost sparkling. Working on the CYA numbers. Hoping that I can get all numbers level in the next few days. My kids came home from school today and said the pool looks like our first day when we moved in. Thank you TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.