Very High Salt Reading

Mar 5, 2013
I live in Florida and we recently had a lot of rain. My display read 2600 (I usually keep it at 3000) and my inspect cell warning also came on. I added a couple bags of salt and now it's reading 7100!! - would a dirty cell cause this? I haven't cleaned it yet but all I've read here is low readings on bad cells, not high. I tried removing the cell last night but it was so tight I couldn't get it off without some kind of tool which I don't have. I'll try again today; any advice is appreciated. Thanks, T

Welcome to TFP!

If you just added the salt, it probably hasn't fully dissolved and mixed in uniformly. In the first several hours it is fairly common to see dramatically fluctuating salt levels as the salt slowly mixes in. I would give the pool 24 hours with the pump running and the SWG off before trusting the salt reading from the SWG.

A dirty or worn out cell would result in salt reading lower than actual, not higher.

If you are in North Florida, it could be that your original low salt indication was caused by cold water that was outside the parameters of the temperature correction circuit. Most SWG's do not read accurately when the water is below approx 55-60 degrees.
Start with an accurate salinity test done by a pool store or by yourself and once you know what it really is, we can offer more advice.
Don

I live in Tallahassee so yes, we've had very cold weather but it's been a week since the incident. When the inspect cell warning came on I held down the diagnostics button to clear it. I then added salt, turned off the chlorinator and ran the pump all night. The next day when I turned the chlorinator back on again it was giving the funky reading (7100) which it has never done, no matter how cold it is. Does this mean the cell is fried or can calcium buildup in the cell cause the false reading? Thanks again everyone, your help is appreciated.

Yes, definitely. If the cell type setting is smaller than the actual cell, the salt reading will be higher. The settings for the cell type are in the controller and the instructions should be in the manual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.