Booster Pump Question

Jun 8, 2011
I recently asked my pool cleaner if a booster pump and cleaner was better for my 20 X 50 Pool. He went against the booster model, saying my pipes may not be able to handle it and suggested the robotic cleaner. Is there anyway of testing the pvc pipes for a booster pump and pressure cleaner?

Do you have a dedicated line to the pool for a cleaner?

I think usually pressure side cleaners do not need as large of a pipe as suction side cleaners ... but I think the boosted pressure side would work with the larger pipe.

There are + and - of all types of cleaners that you can read about here in the forums. One disadvantage of a boosted pressure cleaner is the requirement to have both pumps running when the cleaner is on ... so that is higher electrical cost.

Not sure if I do or don't. I inherited the pool when I bought the house, but I see 3 return lines. The return water on 2 of them are really strong, while the middle seems to just trickle. I've looked at the robots, but the price of say an Aquabot or Polaris scares me.

Well, I,m sorry, I read your post too carelessly. It's pretty obvious you don't have one.....it would be easy to spot and would currently not be tied into your other returns (or shouldn't be).

So......

Cost - A pressure side cleaner will cost you the new plumbing, a new booster pump and the cleaner itself - perhaps more than $800 or so. A robot doesn't require anything else.

Secondly, you pay for cleaning power in most all types of autovacs. The more it costs, the better and faster it does a job.

For a pool your size (and assuming you get a normal amount of usage and dirt) I would suggest the cleaning power of a robot....you're just gonna' have to pay quite a bit for it.

I am a bit confused by your pool cleaners response because you currently do not have the piping required for a pressure side cleaner. If you go that route, however, pressure will not be an issue.

Another option is a suction side cleaner and you can use the skimmer port for a connection.

Can you post a picture of you pad equipment?

Your cheapest and best option is going to be a robotic cleaner. While some suctions cleaners do a good job, its hard to beat the price/performance of a robotic. The cost to do a pressure side cleaner is going to be more than a robotic cleaner. You have to figure for plumbing new lines, remove/install new decking, electrical, and then the actual pump and cleaner. Youre looking easily upwards of 2000.00+ to install a pressure side cleaner on an existing pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.