Evaporative Deposits Immune to Acid

Mar 4, 2013
New to BBB and a definite believer--thanks! I let the pool service manage the chemistry the last two years and things are way out of whack. Just tested Mar 1 and found CYA 99, CH 380, pH 8.2+, TA 170, CSI 1.1. I've drained the pool 70% to reduce CYA and TA and want some advice on this hard deposit on the tiles at waterline. They do not fizz at all with muriatic acid even full strength 31.45%. So there's not much calcium in the deposits, probably silica and CYA and whatever else was in the pool to get hot (108 F here) and concentrate as water evaporates, and deposit on my tile.

CLR and a stiff wire brush cleans the top and bottom of the tile from their white haze but only a grinder with wire wheel will take off the thick deposits in the center of the tiles. Amazingly, it appears not to damage the tiles and a good sealer will make them shine like new. But I'll have days with the grinder to do my 20x40 pool. High pressure water cleaner breaks off about 5% in little chunks.

Then I'll keep pH at 7.2 and CSI at -0.2 and add borate so it doesn't happen again.

I've heard of glass bead blasting and know some pricey contractors have a device to catch the beads and keep them out of the pool and impeller.

Any experiences? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Big Problem

Welcome to TFP.

Although I can't help you with your deposits, I can offer you something my Daddy would always say and still does...

If you want something done right, DO IT YOURSELF!

I always live by these words and try to do what I can, on my own. I hope you can come up with a solution to these deposits on your tile other than a grinder. :shock: That's a whole lot of pool tile to be grinding!

Apparently a common problem in sunny CA.
There are many contractors with bead blasting equipment using #8 and #10 glass beads and marble beads.
Prices run $250-$350 including a tile sealer application.
I think this problem is for the pros.

I have no experience myself, but was fascinated following Richard320's process. He built ( and I followed in his footsteps here) a connection from his downspout to his pool, so that when it rained the pool was being filled with calcium free water. Backwash when it gets full to drain some of the calcium that's in the water. Maintain pH between 7.2-7.4 so that the calcium on the tiles dissolves back into the water. Repeat. Over and over and over. It took a couple of seasons, but it worked. Not sure if that interests you at all...

Sent from my Exhibit II using Tapatalk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.