Barbeque Island Construction

NO you can not use Hardi for any of it. and NO again 1/4" is rated for floors only not walls.
When in doubt ask the guys who make it and James Hardi says no Hardi backer for exterior applications period none at all. Durock however will work fine.

Tileguy said:
NO you can not use Hardi for any of it. and NO again 1/4" is rated for floors only not walls.
When in doubt ask the guys who make it and James Hardi says no Hardi backer for exterior applications period none at all. Durock however will work fine.

James Hardi is selling himself short. And I am willing to bet he is not looking at BBQ Islands when he makes that comment. They have a great product.

The secret is in the surface protection and the framing. I have Islands all ver the world made with 1/4" HB. We have been doing it for 15 years with no problems ever.

The plant that does the Barbeques Galore Islands has made over 10,000 that way with no complaints. The recommended surface is stucco and here in California, stucco does a pretty good job of protecting about 50 million wood frame homes.

My personal one is nearly 12 years old and still looks brand new.

Saw this thread and thought I would ask a few questions here. I am building a 10' straight island here in the Great White North, Canada. Firstly, I am building on a concrete pad and the pad slopes 3 1/2" in the 10' span and also slopes away from the house about an inch over a 3' span. So as you can tell I need to level the island before the build. I was looking at leveling feet, but seems to be a lot of work. So I think I will go with trex feet. How far apart should I place the feet on the track for proper support? (concrete counter & stacked stone). I was planning on building up the trex deck on the ends until I have it level. Would this be correct, any tips? Secondly, living here in Canada we can get some harsh winters and lots of snow. I want to put a bottom on the island, but I am concerned about the snow underneath the island and the cement/hardi wicking the moisture. Any ideas? Also I was thinking of using green e-board instead of hardi or cement board, what is best? Lastly, the island will be up against the house so I am not planning on putting any stacked stone on that side, just cement or green e-board, should I cover/waterproof it with something?

THX.

The HB is fine in weather. Trex used as feet will keep it off the ground. Stucco should protect the surface although I don't live in snow and don't know how it holds up in that weather. I do know that I have sold a lot of plans to folks where it snows and some have used stucco.
Dave

THX DrDave. How far apart would you suggest I place trex supports on the bottom track? Under each vertical stud/ between the studs? I am using 20guage stud should I be concerned about the bottom track flexing between trex support?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the proper was to level the structure is to have the base follow the slope. The cut then vertical studs to get a level and square top.

There is/was a big debate on the rivets vs screws on the BBQ Forums. I tried to find the thread, but I couldn't.

Here is the 5 item breakdown:

1) Dave like Rivets
2) Rivets will probably hold the structure together slightly better
3) Rivets are a huge pain in the Rear. You will probably have 400+ in a 10' Rectangle with no overhang. You need to drill every hole before the rivet
4) Standard Construction technique with steel studs is a Self Tapping Screws (the kind with the drill bit tip)
5) Either choice will provide a structure strong enough for a 2 cm granite slab and probably a couple dancers...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.