SWG Newb

Jul 12, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello all!

I live in Houston, and my pool is an in-ground, that's around 18,500. I'm going to convert it to salt here soon, and also plan on installing a new variable speed pump at the same time.

Everything on my current system is Jandy (we bought the house with the pool already there, last July). This site has helped me learn the ins-and-outs of keeping the pool, to date. My wife has psoriasis and saltwater pools (when on vacation) seem to help her out quite a bit. That's the only reason I'm converting to be honest. The variable speed pump is just to save a little on electricity.

I plan on doing all of the work myself. I'm looking for your input on what I should buy. Do you recommend any brands over others? I've been looking at Pentair and Hayward SWG (40K gallon ratings); and as for pumps, I'm torn between Pentair, Hayward and Jandy's.

TIA,
Leo

flipside said:
My wife has psoriasis and saltwater pools (when on vacation) seem to help her out quite a bit. That's the only reason I'm converting to be honest. The variable speed pump is just to save a little on electricity.

I plan on doing all of the work myself. I'm looking for your input on what I should buy. Do you recommend any brands over others? I've been looking at Pentair and Hayward SWG (40K gallon ratings); and as for pumps, I'm torn between Pentair, Hayward and Jandy's.

I think you can add salt to the pool without adding the SWCG to improve the feel of the water.

I trusted the guy who spec'd our equipment - he was a pool repair guy, not a builder. His choices were later confirmed by the solar install guy who is a warranty station.

Jandy pump, Pentair IC40 SWCG were what we got. A few people specifically noted it was good to steer clear of the Jandy SWCG based on their history. Maybe someone here knows more - I'm just passing along the anecdotal info I heard during our build.

Look up if you have any rebates for available for variable speed pumps. Some locations in CA have $500 rebates. If you don't a spa or any water features that need a high output then a 2-speed pump might be best for you depending on your electric rates.

Like what davelinde said, you do not need a SWG to have a saltwater pool. Just bring your salt level to around 2000 ppm and your pool will have the salt benefits that your wife gets.

If you go with a variable speed pump, make sure it has surge protection. It seems a lot of problems result because the pump was not protected from surges and a surge takes it out.

In my opinion the Pentair IC40 is great if you also have a Pentair branded automation system, and not a good choice if you do not. The amount of control you have over the IC40 is very limited without a Pentair automation system (or IntelliPH), making other brands a better choices in that situation. The IC40 has a very limited control panel directly on the SWG, but offers the full controls everyone else has when paired with an automation system.

JasonLion said:
In my opinion the Pentair IC40 is great if you also have a Pentair branded automation system, and not a good choice if you do not. The amount of control you have over the IC40 is very limited without a Pentair automation system (or IntelliPH), making other brands a better choices in that situation. The IC40 has a very limited control panel directly on the SWG, but offers the full controls everyone else has when paired with an automation system.

We have not yet fired up our IC40 as the plaster is still new and they said "no salt" for the first month. I have the Jandy automation (which yes, btw - to the OP here, you can set up to operate on a web browser or smartphone app) and after the fact was trying to figure out why they spec'd it that way. The equipment guy said the IC40 was most reliable and that lack of automation was not much of a loss? I agree the panel is pretty limited but seems to run it OK? What did I lose by not pairing the automation mfg with the SWCG? (just curious... too late for me to change it now)

Interesting you should post up. I see your specs davelinde and I've been very interested in the Jandy VS Flopro as of this morning. Watching a bunch of YouTube vids and reading reviews on them... though, there aren't many.

My pool is actually 18500-19000g, though my specs say 18000g. It was bought secondhand, so I don't know for sure. I'm not sure if I can setup my Aqualink to work on my Droid RAZR Maxx, though I'd love to find out. I just need to call some folks, but haven't really had the time. I'd like this to be as seamless as possible, but I'll sacrifice seamless for reliability any day of the week.

Thanks for the input so far, all! Keep 'em coming if you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The main issue is that the IC40 used alone only allows you to set the percentage setting to multiples of 20%. That means you are nearly always running the cell at a higher percentage than you "need" to be running it at, thus shortening the cell lifetime. It also lacks a salt level display, which most other SWGs in the same price range have, instead using a simple too low, good, too high LED indicator. Again, none of this applies if you have a Pentair brand automation system, where those controls and displays will appear on the automation system when the SWG is attached.

I have the same system flip as you the jandy w/ the PDA. You can use the aqualink on your phone. You can download load it from the play store. To actually use it you need to make sure you control board in you system has the correct firmware and rev. If you can post the firmware/rev numbers from the pda I can tell you if you have the right system to take advantage of aqualink. You will see this when you start up the pda. I have the jandy epump and swcg and having the extra fine tuning that Jason spoke of and some other added benefits helps to fine tune the salt/chlorine and keep it in check and not having to play this musical game of guess what percentage should I use.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I like the Pentair system just for reliability. Though I somehow missed that you had Jandy automation. Have you looked at an AutoPilot salt system? They make some really awesome systems. I'm not 100% sure if they will integrate with Jandy automation, anyone know?

jkurl said:
I have the same system flip as you the jandy w/ the PDA. You can use the aqualink on your phone. You can download load it from the play store. To actually use it you need to make sure you control board in you system has the correct firmware and rev. If you can post the firmware/rev numbers from the pda I can tell you if you have the right system to take advantage of aqualink. You will see this when you start up the pda. I have the jandy epump and swcg and having the extra fine tuning that Jason spoke of and some other added benefits helps to fine tune the salt/chlorine and keep it in check and not having to play this musical game of guess what percentage should I use.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I'll find out tonight, for sure, jkurl. I'll post everything that I can, on this post, by 6PM CST. I also plan on calling Pool Supply World for some help. I think I worked with a dude named "Dylan" via a chat session. I got wrapped up in a martial arts class with the kiddos, and that's the only reason I didn't call them last night. I'd like to get this conversion/upgrade complete before spring hits us, here in Houston, TX. I plan on being water logged, with beer always at the ready, :cheers: the week I'm off of work! I'll run that pump 24 hours a day if I have to!

This is my second season as a pool owner. I'm not going to lie to you guys... I really suck at this thing and there are times I want to drain that darn thing and charge neighborhood kids to use my backyard as a skate park! My pool got UBER green when I first moved in to this house and I had no idea what to do. This site was all I had as my local pool store had some pretty heavy biases that were blatantly obvious to the lamen. Just with the informational posts, I was able to catch up to my pool's parameters, and started logging everything. It seems like another hobby to add to my already large list of hobbies, as much time as I put into this thing. It'd be really nice to have as much automation as possible. If keeping the Jandy system is best, I'll be more than happy to. I've had no problems with the equipment thus far, FWIW. Well, save a blown capacitor, but that's no biggie.

So, I'll still keep posting on here even after I've figured out what's best for me. I'd love to get to the point where I'm dosing CO2 in a salt pool to aid in pH issues, but I digress... If anything, maybe these postings will serve as a good informative ref. for future newbz like me. Who knows?

I just really hope I'm not saying "hindsight is always 20/20" in a year or two. I hate doing things twice when it can be avoided. That's kind of the reason I'm posting.

Any way, thanks so far! Will keep you posted on what I do, and I will post pics of the installation processes and operationals when it comes time.

Christian said:
I like the Pentair system just for reliability. Though I somehow missed that you had Jandy automation. Have you looked at an AutoPilot salt system? They make some really awesome systems. I'm not 100% sure if they will integrate with Jandy automation, anyone know?

No sir, I haven't. I will check into them now.

The AutoPilot seems to be spoken highly of on YouTube, but the two stores that offered them in the past doesn't sell them anymore. One of those stores being PoolSupplyWorld. That's kind-of odd, don't you think? Also, when you go to Autopilot's website at www.autopilot.com, the site was hacked.

I don't know if I can justify buying one just based on those facts alone. Hmmm....

flipside said:
The AutoPilot seems to be spoken highly of on YouTube, but the two stores that offered them in the past doesn't sell them anymore. One of those stores being PoolSupplyWorld. That's kind-of odd, don't you think? Also, when you go to Autopilot's website at http://www.autopilot.com, the site was hacked.
One of our members here, JoshU, sells the autopilot at saltpoolguys.com

I filled out a "contact us" thingy on his site asking if it's compatible with the Jandy Aqualink and PDA. I seriously doubt it, but who knows... there might be adapter cables out there or something. I really don't care if I can monitor the levels from my Jandy PDA in the house. I can go out back and just look at the unit.

The reviews for the AutoPilot are quite impressive for it, on Josh's site. And, he's in Louisiana. That's mucho closer to me in H-town. Heck, we go over there to gamble from time to time. LOL!

We'll see... Thanks linen!

Well, I called PSW just now, and Dylan wasn't available. I don't really like repeating myself, so I just told the very kind lady that I would call back another time.

To answer jkurl above, my software version appears to be 3.0. Here's a picture of the PDA that I just took:

2013-03-05_16-28-24_591_zpsede3949f.jpg

Does that help my cause, or do I have some work to do?

Here's some pics of the equipment. Everything but the UV/Ozone is Jandy:

2013-03-05_16-17-57_208_zps44addddd.jpg

2013-03-05_16-18-20_58_zps459eee1a.jpg

2013-03-05_16-18-25_890_zpsfe786613.jpg

2013-03-05_16-19-01_510_zps360e74f2.jpg

2013-03-05_16-19-37_475_zps5f68ec54.jpg

2013-03-05_16-20-03_964_zps9b57ce69.jpg

In the above picture, I was thinking of placing the Salt Cell there where the check valve is. Thoughts?

Here's some obligatory pool shots:

2013-03-05_16-20-47_907_zps7ec94715.jpg

You can "kind-of" see the Aquabot cord there. I know a lot of folks don't like them, but I've loved it all "Texas" fall/winter. :)

2013-03-05_16-21-21_821_zpse30bb867.jpg

My little guy helping out. :)

So, any suggestions would still be great as I'm still open to anything at this point.

Christian, can you define "shortly?" I haven't really ruled that one out as it gets great reviews from everyone. I kind-of like the price of replacing the cell, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.