Baracuda G3 - stuck on main drain

Mar 3, 2013
Hello all,

New here, and have been trying to find a solution to keep my new Baracuda G3 from getting stuck on the main drain.

I have a 15,000 gallon pool, that has an in-ground cleaning system. I've recently added the Baracuda due to the issues i've been having with the pop ups keeping the pool clean. I've successfully calibrated the Baracuda, and have been able to get the flow set perfectly to 3 per the instructions. The cleaner does a great job cleaning the pool, however the blue diaphragm on the cleaner has been getting consistently lodged under the lip of the main drain cover.

I have the ability through the valves on my pool equipment to turn the main drain off, however when i do that and test the flow, the flow has increased drastically.

Should I just turn the drain off and let the cleaner deal with the high pressure, or will that mess things up? I've seen recommendations for using the safety drain covers to prevent cleaners from getting stuck, however is there a particular model that works best?

Thanks!

Sounds like as long as the main drain is pulling water, you are going to have to contend with it getting stuck there. Can you shut off the main drain and open a skimmer up to lower the suction on the cleaner line? Of course, if you have your G3 going through the skimmer rather than a dedicated cleaner line, you can't really do that.

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, i do have the pool cleaner connected through the skimmer. I've lowered the baracuda flow controls within the skimmer down to it's lowest pressure setting, so not really much more i can do there...

I've been reading up on the Vac-Mates that go in the skimmer, and those units seem to have a pressure control lever built onto them as well... Not sure though if that would help solve my problem or not though since the pressure really spikes with the main drain off...

Since there aren't any mechanical parts within the baracuda, and the only part which seems to wear is the diaphragm within the cleaner, would super high suction hurt things, or cause the cleaner to not work at all?

The finned disc and the foot pad will wear out before the diaphragm will unless you have a pool with a vinyl liner, in which case, those parts wouldn't wear.

As long as the unit is clicking and moving, you should be ok.

I think the problem you may have with too much suction is the baracuda might stay on the walls all the time.
Mine would get stuck on the main drain also until I changed the liner and put in different covers. It hasn't gotten stuck
in 2 years now.
You can try moving the weight on the hose to see if that helps.

vsyzer said:
I think the problem you may have with too much suction is the baracuda might stay on the walls all the time.
Mine would get stuck on the main drain also until I changed the liner and put in different covers. It hasn't gotten stuck
in 2 years now.
You can try moving the weight on the hose to see if that helps.

What do you mean that you changed the liner, and what did you change it to? Also, if you wouldn't mind providing which cover you went with, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've turned the main drain almost off, and it seems to be working so far...I have noticed though that the cleaner is climbing the walls more, and that my filter pressure has dropped from an average of 20psi to 10psi... Does that matter?

I think i'll also change out the main drain covers once i figure out what you guys have used that works best.

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion. I changed my pool liner and replaced the main dran covers with a different type.
I'm not suggesting to change your pool liner.
I'm not sure what type cover it is but it's more rounded at the bottom whereas the other one was squared off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.