I need a mentor. Noble Designer Series? Hydrazzo? Plaster?

My dream was to move back home to Texas and get a house w a pool. Now I am seriously wondering WTH I was thinking. I was FINALLY able to get a pool guy out to take some time with me and talk me through options, and I have read obsessively online, but feel more lost than when I started.

My first issue is that I really need to figure out pool finish. Initially I was just going to have plaster tinted grey, but this pool builder acted like I wanted to use puppy blood to plaster the pool (although I am not sure why). Sooo I looked at the Noble Designer Quartz series (would probably go with the Mediterranean). It seemed kind of rough in the sample that he had. I also looked at Hydrazzo (probably French Grey). I like the feel of the Hydrazzo in the sample, but there is a pretty good price difference. I CAN spend the money if I need to, but I can't figure out the WHY of it (and I have quite a bit of remodeling to do, so I am trying to pick and choose where the money is going). I have stayed away from the pebble tec type surfaces because I really don't like the roughness of the surface.

Can anyone talk me through these 3 choices? Is there a lifespan difference? Care difference? Is it purely cosmetic? Thank you for any words of wisdom.

Re: I need a mentor. Noble Designer Series? Hydrazzo? Plaste

A lot of this depends on personal preference. All three finishes are fine in all important respects. They have somewhat different lifetimes and other slightly different pros and cons, but by and large the key issue is to decide if you want to pay for the fancier look or not.

Plaster, white or gray, is a standard finish and lasts fairly well. Quartz will last longer and is usually fairly smooth, though the exact smoothness (and how uniform the color is across the pool) depends on the skill of the installer. Hydrazzo is the most complex to install and the smoothest, with by far the most dependance on the skill of the installer. It won't last as long as quartz, though it should last longer than plaster. All three are sensitive to maintaining the proper chemical balance, but Hydrazzo is noticeably more expensive to repair if you let the chemistry go too far off and thereby damage the surface.

Re: I need a mentor. Noble Designer Series? Hydrazzo? Plaste

JasonLion, Thank you so much! I was to the point where I was way over thinking what I think should be about the easiest decision that I make. I am assuming that quartz finishes don't vary much from manufacturer to manufacturer? Maybe the colors, but not the actual feel and lifespan? I want a nice dark grey finish, so I may need to shop brands to see which has the darker finish that I want.

I did like the feel of the Hydrazzo, but between this being my first pool and me being intimidated by keeping everything up and running well with the chemicals, and the extra cost of the Hydrazzo (and shorter life span), I think I am leaning towards a quarts finish.

By the time I need to refinish the pool next time, I may be able to get something with a rougher surface and a longer life. Right now I have 2 very active/athletic daughters and I think comfort is a bigger factor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.