Help clearing up pool?

Rickt

May 19, 2008
northern CA
Hi
I have a inground vinyl liner 14x28 kidney 4.4 deep, and have been trying to clear up for summer.
Been adding bleach for three days now, it has lightened up but still pretty cloudy and light green
Hope I haven't over done it witht the bleach any suggestions would be great.
Tested today

FC=8
CC=0
TC=8
PH=6.8
Alk= 70
Cal= 40
CYA=0

Thanks
Rick

If it's still green, you still have live algae! So you definitely haven't overdone it with the bleach.

Keep bringing up your FC to about 12-15 as often as possible, testing and topping up the chlorine several times a day if you can. Brush as much as possible--twice a day isn't too often!

Clean the filter frequently during the process. Your water will go cloudy blue before it gets clear. The cloudiness is dead algae. Keep the chlorine up until the water is clear blue AND the chlorine holds overnight.

THEN get your pH up and get some CYA in there.

Good luck!!

Hi Rickt and welcome!

First, you need to get the pH up to 7.2 to 7.6.

Second, add enough CYA to raise to between 30 & 50. Add half and retest in a week to make sure you do not overshoot your goal.

Use Jason's Pool Calc (link in my sig) to dose the pool to shock level.

How did you test?..... Your own test kit?.....Pool store #'s?

List all your pool and equipment info in your sig to help those trying to answer your questions :wink:

Remember to test the pH when the FC is less than 10ppm.

Post pix of the water if you can so we can see the 'color' :wink:

Rickt said:
Hi

Thanks for the responses, I used Bens kit PS234.
what is the best thing to use to bring up the cya, I read about putting something in a sock by a return. Not sure what to buy?

CYA is cyanuric acid which is also called stabalizer or conditioner, but the bottle you buy will list 'cyanuric acid' as the ingredient. You can get it at WallyWorld, Lowes, HD, pool store, etc.

Use Jason's Pool Calculator (link in my sig) to compute the correct amount to add being careful not to overshoot your goal. Most people add it thru their skimmer.........s l o w l y.

If you have a sand filter and if you are going to be backwashing with clearing the pool, you could put it in a sock and put the sock in the skimmer (so that it does not restrict the flow) and remove it when you need to backwash or when the pump is off.

It will take up to a week for the CYA to completely dissolve and show up in testing.

Edit: Rick, please add all your pool and equipment info in your sig :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.