Is it safe to drain pool water that is under ice?

Bonk

Aug 2, 2011
Toronto
We've had a lot of snow/snow melt and rain over this winter and I haven't been checking the water level as diligently as I should have. Now the water level is about 1.5 inches below the liner lock. If we have another dumping of snow it may reach the deck.

It being winter, the top is frozen. We have a mesh safety cover and due to snow accumulation most of it in currently embedded in about 2 inches of ice.

I want to do something about this but I'm not sure what. If smash a hole in the ice to be able to drain a few inches of the water below the ice will this cause problems with the safety cover? It will be the only thing supporting the ice at that point. Also, the ice in the pool itself will likely collapse. Potential for damaging the liner?

We do have some above freezing temps coming in next week, but only for a couple days but may be enough to soften the ice. Would it be best to do any draining then?

Do I just leave it and pray I don't get any more accumulation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.