I bought some granular conditioner today

mxdad777

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2012
Northern California
I knew I should have gone on here first and did a little research. First time testing my CYA today in a few months and my CYA was zero. I bought some granular conditioner today from the local pool store and the employee who helped me (who was the store manager) told me to take the basket out of the skimmer and slowly pour the conditioner in the skimmer like you do DE. He said the granules will flow through and stick to the filter grids and then slowly dissolve over the next few days. He told me to test again in 7 days. I hope slowly dumping it down my skimmer isn't going to cause me any problems. Is it??

That approach tends to be frowned on at TFP from what I can tell. The PH is so low - the preferred approach seems to be put it in a sock and hang in front of a return OR in a sock in the skimmer and run the pump continuously.

Did you already put it in?

You'll be fine. The biggest drawback to putting CYA in the skimmer is you lose the ability to backwash or clean effectively until the CYA dissolves which can take a few days....rarely more than 5.

It also is a matter of volume. If you put in a teaspoon, there is NO effect.....if you put in 400 lbs...... well :shock: :shock:

A normal dose will start to dissolve and dilute as it travels down the pipes and gathers on the filter. From there, it is simply a matter of time before it is completely in the pool. Running the pump 24/7 will help keep it diluted. Don't test for it again until you are sure it is fully in solution.

Pouring CYA into a skimmer is quite common and really isn't too bad, even though we don't usually recommend it. There are only really two issues. First, if you pour the CYA into the skimmer too quickly you can cause the pump to lose prime, or even break the pump strainer basket. Second, you need to remember not to clean or backwash the filter for a week after adding CYA. The first problem you presumably avoided, so just remember the second, don't clean/backwash the filter.

Also, you should run the pump for 24 hours after adding CYA (which ever way you add it).

Looks like I should be fine then. I poured it in very, very slowly and have left the pump running since. Sounds like he did know his stuff then because he told me to pour it in very slowly, keep pump running for 24 hours, don't back wash or clean filter for 7 days and retest in a week. Thanks for the quick reply's. I'll be able to sleep better tonight now knowing I didn't screw something up. lol

OK, personal experience and YMMV -- I JUST went through this after refilling a repaired pool. (you can search for my thread oj this topic). I was also struggling getting the Stabilzer to dissolve. My estimates (from PC) were that I needed SEVERAL bags of the stuff. I put some in a bucket of warm water and swished and swished but couldn't seem to get it to dissolve. So like you I decided to pour some, directly into the pool (1st) then into the Skimmer basket. Well FOR ME, that was a huge mistake. After several days I decided to check my FILTER .. yep, clogged with the stuff ... the COLD water (56 degrees) probably attributed to the slow disolution. SO at the guidance of the experts here, I just filled a skimmer sock, wrapped a cord aroud it to tie it off and put it in te skimmer basket at "skimmer water level". That did the trick. It too like 3 weeks to get 2 bags dissolved but my CYA level is now creeping up. Currently 35 - shooting for 50. Oh, and I ended up cleaning/hosing the stuff out of my filter .. which was very tedious being the granules were too small. Would it have dissolved just leaving it trapped in the filter? Probably ... with enough time & running the pump 24x7 ... but i didn't want to run the pump that long for days. (Electricity $$ and strain on the pump). Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.