Inspection - Door Alarm Advice

looks good, you can also get it at HD free shipping.

Says can't add extra windows?

found these rated by good house keeping

SmartPool YardGuard YG18 ($42)
The YardGuard was the overall winner for the gate alarm. It alarmed with no delay when the gate was opened at 1 inch and 2 inches. This product offers a second reset button that can be placed on the inside of the gate, so an adult can easily exit without triggering the alarm. The main unit, placed on the outside of the gate, requires a 4-digit pass code to allow entry, making it more difficult for children or unwanted visitors to bypass. Of the products we tested, the YardGuard is the only device to have such a feature.

Pool Patrol GA-30 ($100)
The GA-30 had the lowest sound level of all the alarms, and had a 6-second delay. We still recommend this product because it is the only gate alarm we tested that offers an in-home siren, in addition to a siren at the gate. Even with a lower sound level, it is most likely to be heard. The Pool Patrol also offers a 15-minute time delay for instances when you need to keep the gate open for longer periods of time (e.g., moving lawn furniture into the backyard).

Poolguard Door Alarm (DAPT) and Gate Alarm (GAPT) ($60-$75)
Poolguard offers an indoor door alarm, DAPT, and an outdoor gate alarm, GAPT. The GAPT and DAPT have 7-second delays to help prevent accidental alarms. The alarms performed well, with the loudest alarm of all the products tested.
- See more at: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product ... eFLxb.dpuf

I don't have any toddlers running around, so when my pool installer set up the back door pool alarm,,,,,,,he just velcroed it in place so it would pass inspection and it did. Then gave me a refund on the cost and took it back. I still have the springe hinges in place though.

woodyp said:
I don't have any toddlers running around, so when my pool installer set up the back door pool alarm,,,,,,,he just velcroed it in place so it would pass inspection and it did. Then gave me a refund on the cost and took it back. I still have the springe hinges in place though.
Speaking as someone who has spent over 40 years working in public safety, having seen many, many tragic situations, I am appalled. I'm sure that your homeowners insurance carrier would be too. Will you never, ever have a child visit you home?

Did you also have other safety features installed to meet code, then remove them for a refund? GFIs, fencing, etc? There are reasons for the codes. Purposefully removing safety features is a huge legal (and moral) risk. My children are all adults, and we have no grandchildren, but I can assure you that my pool still meets all safety codes. I wouldn't sleep at night if it didn't.

I live in a small community on the southern tip of Santa Clara county California. We are in the middle of a valley with hills on both sides. One day a few years ago I was working outside and I could hear sirens. Not just one or two, but 5 or 10. They passed my house and headed up the hill, stopping about half way up. I knew something bad had happened, because there is rarely this much commotion in a town of a few thousand. I turned on my police scanner (another story why we own one) and could hear the sadness in the voices from dispatch and the officers. One of them followed the mother to the hospital, and said that she could barely speak because she was so distraught.

They didn't elaborate over the radio as to what happened, and it took 2 days for the news to come out - Twin girls drowned in their pool. It was a horrible and tragic accident, a couple miles from our house, with kids the same age as ours.

http://www.examiner.com/article/san-mar ... amily-pool

When our swim instructor heard the news and the location she thought it was our children that passed away, as she knew we had 2 kids that didn't know how to swim. She was glad to hear that it was not us, but that served as a wakeup call. It easily could have been our kids.
Here is some data from the CDC to think about:
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationals ... sheet.html

I know this thread has veered, but I hope it gets at least one person to think twice about the safety of their pool, and perhaps fix that gate, or add that alarm back into the pool. You really don’t know how much good you might be doing. If an alarm was installed in our neighbor’s pool, the outcome may have been scary instead of tragic.

Consider also that the statistics you cite do not include "near drowning" incidents which can in some ways be more tragic. Many children are left severely and profoundly disabled for life, but are not reflected in the drowning stats.

We actually wanted to install the slider door closer but the company can't install for two weeks and I have left it too long (we want the pool swimmable for spring break) so we're looking at the alarm as an interim measure and we will have the self closing system installed in the next month or so. I know realistically the alarm will drive us crazy and we'll likely end up taking the battery out (we don't have young children) so I do want to have another security for the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.