Adjust pH or TA first?

spriteman

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2008
central Florida
If I’m at the upper limit on pH and the lower limit on TA which should I address first? Or does it matter? My pH is currently 7.8 and TA is 70. I know each affects the other, but is it more advisable to lower pH first by adding acid or should I raise TA first by adding baking soda? I entered my numbers into the Pool Calculator and understand the amounts I need to add as a starting point, but was just wondering about the order.

waterbear said:
IF you are using liquid chlorine or bleach then just lower your pH to 7.6. Your TA should be fine where it is.
yeh, that's what I typically do (I use liquid Cl). I'll add a little acid and the TA number doesn't really move much. my pool likes to hover around a TA of 70. I was just curious if I go on vacation say, then come back and my pH is 8 and TA is below 70 --what order do I attack it. in my limited experience I have always adjusted the pH first (since it seems to be much more sensitive), then the next day take a pH and TA reading and adjust TA if necessary.

I would adjust the pH first. In the case you describe it is very unlikely that the pH would rise and the TA fall. Adding acid causes the TA to fall so if there is no acid added then it should be stable. If you use trichlor while on vacation a more likely scenerio would be both the pH and TA falling because of the acidic nature of trichlor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.