pump question

vj

Jan 2, 2013
Will a Pentair 2 speed 1 hp pump have enough flow/pressure to properly activate a SWG IC40 on low speed. Free form in ground pool, 13,000 gal, no spa, no solar. thanx

Maybe, depends on the head loss in your system which is based on all the plumbing and equipment.

Low speed is usually enough, but not guaranteed if your system is not efficient.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

thanx Jason, it appears from reading on the site that it will be efficient but it sounds like I will not know until I try it. I will be purchasing the equipment on this new build and the 2 speed pump is half the price of the vs pumps. Still on the fence thoughts?

There is no one size fits all answer. Savings of a two speed vs a VS is dependent on several things:

1) Low speed vs High Speed run time. I run my pump on full speed for a couple hours per day just so the cleaner and skimmers work better.

2) Electricity costs. The lower the energy rate ($/kwh), the more time it takes to make up the cost difference between the pumps.

3) VS subsidies. If the state has a subsidy that will reduce the time it takes to make up the cost difference.

On average, a VS saves about 150 watts over a low HP two speed on either speeds so the math is fairly easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.