new fiberglass install

Nova13

Jan 23, 2013
In about two weeks I'll be installing a 10x20 Sunpools unit.

Those of you that went thru a glass pool install any tips or suggestions to watch for?

I'm getting differing opinions on sand in the bottom of the hole vs gravel.

Sunpools says sand so I'm inclined to go with their suggestion but they do not demand it for warranty.

I have a local backhoe guy to do the dig, and a few friends to help guide it in, then I'll plumb & backfil.

What pitfalls should I look to avoid

tks

There's a pretty nasty thread on here about one owner whose fibreglass pool installation dragged on into the evening, floodlights etc, and the base was not level (slight hump here or there), the pool has since cracked substantially and he's now in court with the installer, installer claims it's all good. His pics show quite the opposite.

Just from following his thread I'd say that getting the base level is key, once the water gets in it will contort if not level and start to strain/crack.
I think there was another thread where the base was level to itself but off in total by an inch or so. So there wasn't any cracking but when the water line got up to the edge detail he could see that it wasn't even from one end to the other.

So, levelness seems to be critical with these types of pool.
If anything signficant happens to the prepared site (heavy rain, etc) and there needs to be repair work - get that done first and make sure it's right, even if you have to hold things up and pay a bit of extra cash. Once that suckers in, no installer (no matter how nice) is going to want to remove it.

I believe the industry standard is that they can develop some degree of superficial cracking and still be ok.

well one of my friends is bringing his transit, so that should help.

Sunpools glasses in 4 posts one on each corner, they said they can be jacked up wash sand under to level also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.