New Pool Pilot Digital - No salt readings

Technigogo

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I just installed my new Pool Pilot Digital (DIG-220). I was advised to let start up the unit and let it tell you how much salt to add before indiscriminately dumping salt into the pool. As I understand it, my pool water may already have some salt in it even though I was not running a salt system. So I've done this and the system has been running for 5 hours and I still get no indication of salt level or salt needed. Should I be getting something? I have programmed the Installer Options including the pool size. I did NOT do anything with the salt calibration. I do not have a test for salt (I just ordered the Taylor kit, though) so I can't manually check to see what my salt content is right now.

I also have questions about the Power Level. I left it at the default of "1" when going through the menu. Is that what I want??

OK, first......whomever told you to just "let" the machine tell you what to do......I would not believe ANYTHING that person said again without proper verification. Two, read the manual. Sorry to sound so hard headed here, but for grins I went on line to find your owner's manual. Here is what I found.

From about page three: Note: The Pool Pilot™ Digital does not test for purifier levels nor automatically adjust to maintain a desired purifier level. This is done by periodically testing the water and adjusting the output levels up or down, as needed. (in otherwords YOU have to do something before it works)

Then going to Start Up Procedure:
1. Balance your water chemistry according to the Water Chemistry Parameters shown above. Add the proper amount of salt (see Salt Requirement Chart) and circulate prior to starting your Pool Pilot™ Digital.

There is a nice chart in the manual and.......did you program the thing with your pool size and all the parameters indicated in the manual? If not, then there is your answer why it's not doing anything.

I have no idea how new to pools you are, but in my short time of 3 years with above ground pools, I can tell you nothing gets installed until at least a quick look at the owners/installation manual. Oh, don't worry, been there, done that.......more than I would like to admit.

It looks from my quick glance at your unit that it seems like a really nice unit. Just like BBB, you are going to have to spend a little time with the control box and the manual to get everything set, then it looks like you are home free. It looks to me once programed, then yes, that machine will tell you exactly how much salt you need to act......that's a really nice feature and I don't know how many other SWGs do that. You bet I will look into one of those when I upgrade to a much bigger pool or go in-ground!!

Bob E.

Safetybob said:
OK, first......whomever told you to just "let" the machine tell you what to do......I would not believe ANYTHING that person said again without proper verification.
The salt meter in a new Pool Pilot Digital unit is far more accurate than the average pool store, or any other test easily available to a home owner. For salt level, trust the SWG. Therefore, yes you should absolutely let the unit tell you how much salt to add.

What does the display say (since it isn't showing the salt level)?

Jason, the display shows:

Purifier 1%
07:51A 52F

I did run the "Test Pool Pilot" menu and it will say Salt Level = 3100 ppm. Is this test correct? I have added NO salt so I find it hard to believe that I have 3100 ppm in my pool already. I can run a water sample to my local Warehouse Pool Supply but I sure as heck don't trust pool store testing results ...at all. I'd think a dip strip would be more accurate than those guys.

Safetybob, if you will reread my OP you'll see:
I have programmed the Installer Options including the pool size.
. Yes, I've read the manual. I always do. When the manual fails me, I turn to TFP. I'm no noob but I am self-taught. So while I don't know everything about a pool, I know a lot and I know where and how to learn more (TFP).

Ah....I think I have it......if that 52 means 52 degrees F, then I believe the manual says below 52 degrees it will not allow the unit to operate.....so if you have a thermomenter, stick it in the water and see if it really is 52 degrees.

Sorry about the misread on the post. I just spent the last roughly 3 hours reading the owners manual for each manufacturer's most popular SWGs that we could use for AGPs and in-ground. What an education I got.

Bob E.

Interesting. It is unusual, though not unheard of, to see that much salt without salt being added intentionally. Have you been filling your pool from a line that comes from a water softener? Water softeners add a lot of salt.

The AutoPilot SWG does not completely shut down at low water temperatures, though it will limit it's self to running at 1%. As Safetybob implies, the salt reading isn't totally reliable at low water temperatures. AutoPilot does have temperature compensation, so it isn't usually way off, but it can still be off a bit when the water is that cold. It also averages over 24 hours, so it may not have fully settled down to a consistent reading just yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.