First time pool buyer

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
We are planning to have an above ground pool installed this spring. I have researched for months and talked to every local pool company I could find. After changing my preferences about 5 times, I think I've finally made a decision. Rather than purchase a package from a local company, I've decided to purchase items online, have them delivered to our home and hire someone to excavate and install the pool. Please review and give any suggestions or advice.

Sharkline Matrix 28' all resin pool w/ beaded liner
Pentair SandDollar SD60 pump & filter
Pentair Intellichlor IC20 salt chlorine generator
ladder
maintenance kit
pool alarm
winter cover
test kit

How does this combination look? I would appreciate any advice - especially on the pump/filter and the salt chlorine generator. Is there anything else I need to think of? Do I need to buy a skimmer or do they come as a part of the pool? Any other parts I need to order so the installer will have everything he needs?

Thank you!!

I'd up the SD-60 to an SD-80 and up the IC-20 to an IC-40.

A 28' pool will hold about 19,000 gallons of water so the IC-20 will be barely large enough to handle it and that's running it 24 hours a day.

I wouldn't buy a maintenance kit unless it comes standard with the pool kit.
A skimmer will come standard with the kit, but I'd opt for a wide mouth if it doesn't come with one already.

Welcome to tfp, afreil :wave:

As Bama said, I would go larger with your filter. For your ~18400 gallon pool, we would recommend a minimum 3.2 sq. ft. sand filter (the SD60 is 2.6 sq. ft. where the SD80 is a 3.7 sq. ft. filter). Also, I would consider buying a 2-speed pump.

As for test kits, make sure you buy a good one. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

THe test kit, if it's not a drop based kit you'll need a better one, if it's just testing strips scrap them.

Are you going to need a solar blanket in your locale?

The electrial feed to the pump, do you have that figured out? You can't just plug it into an existing outlet and you certainly don't want to use an extension cord (like someone I know). The bottom line is that you need a dedicated circuit...and if that dosn't exist already it may add a significant amount to the cost, especially if your pool is some distance from the house.
.....please don't use an extension cord.

Other than that have you read 'Pool School'?
The link is up in the top right corner, read it and then re-read it, do a couple of tests from a proper test kit on your tap water while your build is in progress. THe first few tests are slow and cumbersome but by the end of summer you'll have it burned to memory if you make the effort.
Don't get into the lazy habit of relying on the teenager at a local dealer to test your water and then sell you a bunch of junk.

Hope your build goes well, post some pics!!

PS, I recommend watching several AGP install videos online (your matrix should come with a disc, mine did anyways) so you know if your installer is doing things properly.

You guys are awesome! I can tell that I am going to love this forum.

cramar,
- we are in TN so I don't think I'll need a solar blanket
- I was going to bring up the electrical feed in another topic (I have many different topics to ask TFP about). I have called several electricians about running a dedicated line to the pool site (about 100' from the electrical box). Their comments and prices have been wildly different. I would love any suggestions about what is actually needed.
- Must read Pool School (and then re-read)

Afreil

I bought a sharkline 24' from pool supply world last summer and have been completely happy with it and pool supply world prices cant be beat my pool came with a wide mouth skimmer in the kit but i bought my pump and filter from amazon at half of what it was going to cost anywhere else. I also got my liner elsewhere cause psw did not have a pattern that me and the wife liked.

Welcome to TFP!! I was in you position a few years ago and actually closer to your exact position last year as I went to a much bigger pool last season. So, how are your do-it-yourself skills? I understand you hiring someone to put the pool up. Perfect idea. Unless you have alot of help, you will most likely be better served by having someone else put the pool up.

Electricity. Here is were we start clearing the room from everyday DIYers to the "real" DIYer. I did my own electrical service from the box to the pool. Yup, lots of digging, trenching, cussing, bleeding (just occasionally) and one case of beer to have it "approved" by my local electrician. If you city allows it, you could do most of the rough in (as in rent the trencher, buy the underground cable, blah, blah, blah) and have a licenced guy do the final if your unfamiliar or simply don't want to do the electrical thing. Honestly if you have an electrician you know, have him tell you what to get and tell him you want to save money by putting the cable in the ground and he'll make the actual connections. It's still money to him and very easily made, quick, and will get him future business with good recomendation to your friends. A good guy will "assist" you and let you do the really hard part and he can finish the rest. Just ask him what two spot to have the lines come out of the ground and let it go at that. You will save some money potentially that way.

Let's talk pool. Have you noticed how many people have said something about a test kit? As someone who didn't have one for the first two years of pool life, please, right now, stop reading this and order one. Support the foruma and get a TF-100 and you'll need the Taylor salt test too with that SWG. You will still need to read up here on proper chemical levels. You will need some stabilizer so get some and use the caculator to figure out how much salt you will need for your initial fill, than have another bag around for top off now and again.

Testing is THE key to your pool satisfaction. Without it, your pool will suck. It WILL turn green, look bad, you'll get Crud from wife, kids and neighbors. Testing tells you what you need to add and using the calculator you can then KNOW exactly what you need to add or subtract. Since I got a proper test kit (I have the Taylor 2006), my pool was the most fun it's ever been. EVERYONE HAD FUN. Testing is the key.

Final two cents: You very much need that next model up on the salt generator.

Wait, I'm not done......heat......ever think you may want a little heat? Oh, I know, you're going to use one of those solar heaters. Yes, those will work, but what about late October and the kids REALLY want to go play in a late October day in the upper 70's or 80's? While you have the trencher and the utility people have to mark anyway. Get some of the yellow poly gas pipe and again trench and just cap it off close to the meter and the pool area.....that way you will be ready for the upcoming Natural Gas pool heater in your future. Something to give honest and frank discussion to. And no, you don't need to use it all the time either....

Bob E.

I have to say the TF-100 and BBB method made our first year of pool ownership a great, and fun experience. Best wishes on your pool install. Looking forward to seeing pics on here soon !

I consider myself a DIY, but my husband is not so much unless given specific instructions what to do. The pool installation (which is on a sloped yard) is a bit more than we want to tackle. That being said, what are some things I should look for in an installer? How do I find a reputable installer?
Same with the electrical... it is beyond what we would want to attempt on our own. What are some things I want to make sure an electrician provides? Do I need more than one outlet? Will he do the bonding? Should we dig the trench ourselves?

Your advice so far has been priceless. Thank you so much.

[attachment=1:2jgklv4b]pool site.jpg[/attachment:2jgklv4b]
[attachment=0:2jgklv4b]pool site2.jpg[/attachment:2jgklv4b]

Attachments

• pool site.jpg
    pool site.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 226
  • pool site2.jpg
    pool site2.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 225

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have not been planning for a retaining wall, although in my online research I have wondered If I might need one. However, none of the installers I have spoken with have mentioned the need for a retaining wall. How much would that complicate the install?

That being said, what are some things I should look for in an installer? How do I find a reputable installer
I would ask for some references. Find out how long has the installer been installing agp. Ask for pictures of previous installs. Ask them to go thru the whole install process with you. You could look in the yellow pages or ask some pool stores about installers in your area.

What are some things I want to make sure an electrician provides? Do I need more than one outlet? Will he do the bonding? Should we dig the trench ourselves?

You could rent a trencher and do the trench yourself. Most of the time more than one outlet is code. He should be able to do the bonding,if not find one that will.

just my 2cents

Hello! :-D

Question... Is there a reason why you wouldn't put it further left and back on the flat yard, closer to the house? It seems it would save you a bit of time, trouble and money to move the pool location and not have to worry about a retaining wall.

Personally, I would do that if nothing was in my way like septic and utility lines. I live on a hill and my pool build is going to be a nightmare because of all the extra's due to retaining walls and money to pay for it. If nothing is there, I would really consider it.

I have not begun my project yet. I'm waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer since I'm in PA and we're still in *Winter Mode*! Pretty soon though. I have an excavator who is coming out to look at my yard maybe this week. Here is a pic looking down onto my pool site.

Yes, the project is a DIY project. I like the challenge. :mrgreen: I've put up a 24' pool 3 times in the past. This pool will be my 4th one but my first retaining wall. If everything goes well, I should be floating in my new pool by June and recovering from my unforeseen injuries due to the install of both the retaining wall and the pool. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.