How often do you run your pump?

during the day when I'm hoping it heats up fast (like now) I only run it during the day and both when it's nice and warm. It depends much more on pool water temp for me than anything else.

When the pool water gets too warm (happens in Texas anyway) we run it at night with a polaris 'waterfall' to cool the water, helps cool it off a little.

I run mine for 2.5 hours during the day and then 30 mins in the evening just so the water isn't sitting for 18 hours.

For you guys who run 12+ hours, what's your electricity bill per month??

CRG_80cc said:
I run mine for 2.5 hours during the day and then 30 mins in the evening just so the water isn't sitting for 18 hours.

For you guys who run 12+ hours, what's your electricity bill per month??

i run 24/7. last summer when we had all 4 ac units cranked at 70. fans, tvs' cooking, hot water, computers, dryer, dishwashers, fridge, lights at night was 650 a month, but thats only in the dead of summer so july through september, rest of the year is an average 400 then when we shut the pool of we go to 325.

duraleigh said:
Hijack:
Vince whatever happened to your cloudy, CYA-laden pool? Did it clear up?

Dave! :hammer: (that's for hijacking) J/K........yea, RT, what happened? We need the 'rest of the story'. But, let's do it in your thread! :lol:

Edit: (forgot to respond to the question :roll: ) We run our pool 3 to 4 hrs in the AM and 3 to 4 hrs in the PM. But, no night time running.

After doing energy audits, I moved our pool pump run time from 16 hours to 10 hours. We also reduced the run time also on the pressure side Legend cleaner pump to run 4 hours from 16 hours. The 16 hours run time (without any home AC units running) ran us around $300 per month. We finally turned on the AC units last night, so I am waiting to see what the bill will be next month.

I am going to test for 30 days running the pool pump from Noon until 8pm and 10pm until Midnight. The Legend cleaner will run 2 hours in the morning and the 10pm – midnight shift.

8 hours a day in summer, 6 hours a day in winter. I run in two blocks.....In summer 5/3 and in winter 4/2 both midday and evening. These are the times I am most likely to use the pool.
Mars HP pressure cleaner runs about 2 hours a day.
Water features come on for 15 minutes a day (otherwise I might not run them for a while and the water in them could turn green!)
Automation system takes care of it all so I don't have to worry about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 hrs/day in winter and sometimes off
4 hrs/day in spring & fall
6-8 hrs/day in summer

My turnover is about 4 hours without solar and 5 hours with solar so I have never gone much above 2 turnovers per day.

I also have automation so it is pretty easy to set and forget.

I run my pump 24/7. We open mid April/early May and close Oct. I have pop up cleaning heads in the pool and I like a clean pool. I only have to vacume on occasion, maybe once every 2 weeks with the cleaning system running. Been doing this for 5 years now and don't really notice a difference in the electric bill. Keep the house at 70 in summer and 72-73 in winter. Keep the pool heated anywhere from 82-86 with the heat pump.

I usually run mine from 5am - 9am, then from 5pm - 9pm. It's on a timer, so I just make sure when I get up for work and come home from work that the skimmer basket didn't get knocked askew during the stop/start of the pump, check the skimmer basket for debris, etc.

I used to run mine 24/7 because "the pool store said to". After the first year, I thought that was kind of excessive, so started looking online for pool forums, which led me to here. :-D

Hey Rollin Thunder, I think you told me a few weeks ago I was in the wrong part of VA cause your water was warmer than mine, but now I can turn it around cause your electric is so high :lol: one of the few advantages of living in the sticks! ha

Anyway, I was running 24/7 with Baquacil and still lost that battle to pink slime (hence my membership and incessant questioning on this forum while switching to BBB and then SWG). With that 24/7 last summer, and using my AquaCal heat pump (w/solar cover) to warm up the water at the beginning/end of season, my bill shot from around normally 200 or less to about twice that.
This year, I've dropped to running the pump 9am-9pm, but I think I'll follow JasonLion and Waterbear's lead and try something like a 5/3 split (or maybe 7/3 or 6/4 if the kids are in the pool all day)...I have a timer for the main pump, but I'll have to fit the Legend Vac into the schedule during the ON times.
BTW - Sabot, not sure why you'd have to run your Legend more than maybe 2 hours/day? I used to run mine 3 or 4 (or more) hours per day, but now I'm down to maybe 2 or so...just a thought, you may want to try that, since that booster pump is probably using alot of energy also.

Hmmm....this has been a question for me as well. I have been running it 24/7 since it was finished at the beginning of April. My bill this past month doubled is usage from last year! :shock: :shock: But, with all the gunk in the air, especially now at least, if you're only running your pump a few hours a day...doesn't your pool get funky??? Just curious............

You need to be running "enough" water through the filter to keep the pool clean. If you have a reasonably large pump that almost always gets done in less than 24 hours a day. A relatively small pump attached to a relatively large pool may need to run 24 hours a day. Often two speed pumps run on low speed need to be run 24 hours a day, because low speed corresponds to a very small pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.