Does any body know what type tanker is needed to store chlor

Feb 27, 2013
I an thinking of purchasing a full tanker at a time. I have a few questions:
1. Does anybody the type of tanker that is needed to store pool chlorine?
2. Does it have to be inground and can it be above-ground?
3. Do I need treated cement incase of spillage?
4. Also the type of permits required by the fire or health department ?

Re: Does any body know what type tanker is needed to store c

Are you talking about liquid chlorine or gas, or sodium hypochlorite (bleach)? There's a big difference in the rules for chlorine and bleach.
How large a tank are you talking about?

The EPA is gonna be very interested too.

Those have to be pressure vessels to store liquid chlorine. You're also going to have to have proper handling and safety equipment to be able to offload into the tank. Your best bet is to look at the other store's setup and match it.

aquascapepools1 said:
Liquid chlorine. There is a small shop that has a two tanks of 20,000 gals. They do there own filling.
Remember that liquid chlorine degrades with time and temperature especially at higher concentrations. How much do you plan to store and what is the concentration?

I think I have a misunderstanding. :scratch:
When I say liquid chlorine I'm talking about chlorine gas that's pressurized so that it can be transported and stored. From that you can recover chlorine gas into cylinders.

Actually liquid chlorine doesn't degrade, sodium hypochlorite does.

While it is true that compressed chlorine gas is liquid, it has been my impression that most of the time folks on this forum think of "liquid chlorine" as bleach and use the terms interchangeably. But the question really should be to the OP.

Liquid chlorine as in Bleach or compressed gas?

From Pool School:
1. Liquid chlorine - Household bleach and liquid pool chlorine are the two common sources. They are identical in every aspect except strength, household bleach is typically 6% and pool chlorine is usually around 12%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.