Pool design feedback ???

Feb 16, 2013
Hi,

My wife and I like non rectangular pools but we want an auto cover and there's negatives of curves with auto covers (thought it can be done). So we thought about a rectangular pool with underground shelves (with different textures than bottom of pool to stand out)inside the pool which make it look like curves. So one end of pool would have baja shelf and middle would have sitting shelves and other end just sitting shelves or stairs. So cover closed, looks rectangula. Cover open looks curved. Anyone do this?

1) You can see the 2D picture here: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0

2) Or you can walk thru the 3D model by downloading it and installing Google's (now Trimble) free Sketchup SW (just takes 5 minutes). Dimensions are correct within 5/10 % error. Download and installing the free application here: http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/download/gsu.html

If you install the app then Click on View-->toolbars-->large tool set. Use the Orbit, zoom in, zoom out, hand, eye, and feet icons to move around.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Embrace the rectangle! Ok, I'm biased as we are building a rectangle and getting an auto cover. Though I'd probably want a rectangle anyway.

I will say though, in all honesty, when people attempt to make something look like something else, (in the pool world or not) it doesn't always work well. That said, we are going with a fake stone wall and decking made of concrete, but I have seen it in person to ease my apprehension.

You might end up sacrificing utility for appearance with the curves within a rectangle. Your one side bench gets quite skinny towards the ends from the 2-D picture.

I do like your outside the box thinking though. [WINKING FACE]

I don't see any reason why this would not work. It may be a bit more in construction costs but not that much. You may have to increase the clearance at your spa/waterfall steps a bit for the cover.
And I would put some more windows in the house. It is going to be really dark in there.

joe anything is possible if you have a knowledgable builder. You could build a shaped pool pour a first deck then attach your cover track receiver then pour a second deck. This is often called a pool-in-a-pool. We build them pretty regular it makes a very professional ad finished look since cover tracks are hidden.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.