What should a contractor do during replastering?

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi all,

I am going to get my pool replastered (from white plaster to pebble). There are three major plastering companies in Austin. They all have a slightly different approach on how to replaster my pool.

Company A: Chip around fittings and below water line tiles. Acid wash and bond coat. Replaster. They don't recommend chipping away all old plaster, as it will create more problems.

Company B: Chip around fittings and below water line tiles. Sandblast (sometimes chip away all old plaster if it is loose). Acid wash and bond coat. Replaster

Compnay C: Chip around fittings and below water line tiles. Acid wash and bond coat. Replaster.

Just want to know what is the right approach in replastering. The pool has been drained for 2 years. It is a gunite pool built above ground. Please advise. Thanks.

It has way more to do with the skill of the team actually doing the work than it does with what they tell you. Get references and check them. That is much more important than anything they say about what they are going to do.

If any of the existing plaster is in any way loose, it must be removed. There is no way around that and any competent team will do that even if it isn't mentioned by their sales people.

There isn't anything wrong with a full chipout and replace, but it does take more work and is hardly ever required. Likewise, as long as the existing plaster is sound, there is nothing wrong with a simple acid wash and cover over with chip out only around the existing fittings.

Not yet. It is hot right away. I read an article about the issues of plastering in hot and dry weather. My plastering company does not take those extra steps to protect the curing process in the summer, so I decided to wait until the fall.

Scott, I will chime in with what one of the PBs we are interviewing for our reno told me about chip-out vs. sandblast. He said in hot weather, they do a full chip-out because they cannot use the sandblaster. In cooler weather, they sandblast. Why? I have no idea, but that might be a lead that you could research. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.