There is something floating in my pool

My water is otherwise perfect.

FC = 5
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.8 (I like it a little high)
    TA = 130
    CYA = 35ish
    Temp = almost warm enough to swim

This stuff showed up a few days after I opened the pool, and I haven't been able to get rid of it since. My wife thinks it feels oily, and maybe it is a bit. It does jump away from your finger if you stick your finger in the water, but there isn't a noticeable 'oily' feel to it to me. I'll try to get a close-up pic if I can, but my camera wants to focus on the bottom liner and not on the water for a direct shot. These are the best I have at the moment.

Any ideas?

24' round x 52" AG, approximately 13,200 gallons.

Hayward S220T sand filter with Vari-Flo XL Multivalve, Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp two speed pump, and lots of POP.

2. Back To Top    #2

How close is the nearest tree. It looks a lot like the tree pollen I would get from the neighbor's catalpa tree. And that was the best mess it made. The big leaves and seed pods caused more problems than the pollen. Thankfully the new owner cut it down this year.

If it is tree pollen it will filter out. You may have to clean the filter an extra time (I have a cartridge filter) also a skimmer sock would catch a lot of it before it gets to the filter.
    24'x54" Sharkline Matrix by Wilbar International, 15,200 gallons (2015)
    Jacuzzi 75 sq ft Cartridge Filter 1 hp two speed pump
    Solar Heat with Goldline GL-235 Controller
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 28669 SWG
    TF100, SampleSizer, and Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3
    Here are a couple more pictures. The skimmer sock has been like this for days, but there never seems to be any reduction in the floating stuff.

Hayward S220T sand filter with Vari-Flo XL Multivalve, Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp two speed pump, and lots of POP.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I get that too, especially on windy days...its some kind of air pollution/pollen issue....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5
    I'm just not so convinced that it is pollen. I never had this problem all year last year, and if it was pollen I'd think it would be reduced at some point after running the filter 24/7, yes?

Maybe it is and I'm just being paranoid, but I'm so proud of my perfect water and it looks so imperfect with stuff floating in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I understand you being paranoid as we all can get that way when we think things are going south but after looking at the additional pictures I do believe it is tree pollen. That is exactly what mine would look like. The picture that shows your water being nice and clear also indicates that the "stuff" is only on the surface which is indicative of it coming into the pool from the surface location. This is much better than having "stuff" in your pool that rises to the surface and floats IMHO. I also run my pump 24/7 always on low speed unless swimming or vacuming. It usually lasted about a week for me and how much I got depended on the weather. More on windy days and also after a rain. Your skimmer sock looks like it is catching a lot of it, I didn't have one the first two years and it was more difficult than without. Patience and filtering will make it all better.
    24'x54" Sharkline Matrix by Wilbar International, 15,200 gallons (2015)
    Jacuzzi 75 sq ft Cartridge Filter 1 hp two speed pump
    Solar Heat with Goldline GL-235 Controller
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 28669 SWG
    TF100, SampleSizer, and Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I have to agree with the opinion that it's pollen.

My pool has a lot this year, so much that is leaves a pollen ring on the liner at water level. the rest sinks to the bottom and collects in the little divots.

Isn't nature wonderful !!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8
    Thanks for all your input. I'll stick the filter on high for some time each day for the next couple of days and see if that helps.

I was just really worried that it might be some kind of oil, but I have no idea where it would come from. Since I never had this problem last year I thought maybe something went wrong somewhere.

9. Back To Top    #9
    I had the same thing in my pool just recently and several times since. I was iniitially paranoid as well but I do believe it is windblown. A friend of mine had it show up at the exact same time as me on a particularly windy day.

The link below is to the discussion when I first noticed the flakes. Your pics are better than mine but I definitely think this is the same stuff.

http://troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=367
    Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl
    TR60 Sand Filter, Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    Blue Pearl robotic cleaner

Burlington, North Carolina

10. Back To Top    #10

May I ask
    Where you live and what kind of trees do I see in the back ground ?
    Steve
    Echo Canyon II by Artesian Pools, 13.5 KGal AG Round, 22" Artesian Sand Filter 2 hp Artesian pump
    Med Lab Tech for 12 years in E.TN
    Chem testing by Trouble Free Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Organic Contaminate

This definitely looks like an airborn contaminate and not a result of your pool balance. I would suggest a product like BioGuard Skim Mor that is coated with a product that will help remove it if it is oil based. Hope this helps.
    Matthew Austin
    PoolGeek.com
    1-888-354-Geek
    Coupon Code: TFPoolGeek
    Save 10% Any Purchase

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry
    I have it, too. Had it last year, too. Had it year before that. It was not at all noticeable once you were in the pool and stirred the water a little.

Did nothing and it went away. Would suggest the same course of action.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: There is something floating in my pool

thank god i found this because i have the same thing, even though this post is really old post it helped!!!! i was starting to freak out!!!
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48" sand filter w/intex SWG.
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum
    3rd year with Intex and no problems
    Pentair Mastertemp BTU 125/ propane
    Taylor K2006 Complete FAS-DPD

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: There is something floating in my pool

I have it on my pool too...looks like pollen.
    Cornelius 15" Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward Powerflo LX 1.5HP Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System