new pool - we have finally started! + some pictures!

tatertot09

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Lenoir City TN
Hey all,

Long road with the house build but we are getting through framing and such. But now onto the good stuff!

We think we have finally decided on a builder, he did bid our first project but because of cost we really didnt consider him. But the scope of this project seems to be his nitch.

He quote as follows (base pool with out upgrades is $31,995 so anything with a cost next to it is an upgrade)
20x40 vinyl inground
Full shallow steps
Composit walls (free upgrade from steel $2,000)
Automatic cover ($12,965)
Sheer decent 5ft ($855)
3 intellibright g5's ($2,395)
4 laminars - lighted deck jets (Free upgrade cost of $7,980)
2 skimmers
5 returns
dual main drain
2 inch pluming
Pentair xf variable speed pump ($1,541)
pentair sand filter
pentair heat pump ($4,295)
Easy touch automation & IC40 Salt system ($1,295)
Under liner 4 tread steps with textured liner made from composit and concrete (5,946)
2500 sq feet of stamped and color concrete ($12 sq foot roughly $30,000)
Formed Concrete coping (free upgrade total savings$1600)
Hot tub wall system made from concrete block, hot tub drop in, and exterior stone on wall and wall caps ($3,900) - We are providing the hot tub
28,000 Gallons of water included
All permits fees and taxes included
upgrade to total 5 year builder warranty on all items including liner (parts and labor)

Total cost for everything comes to $95,900.

It seems like a lot of money but the concrete takes up a large chunk of the price (totalling a little over 30k). I think we have covered everything but let me know what you guys think of costs and any recommendations? We are located in Central Ohio.

Re: new pool quote- looking to start end of March- opinions?

Sounds like it will be a very nice pool. There are just some details that are never in the bids:

- Ensure the skimmers and floor drains are plumbed separately to the equipment pad as this gives more control over the suction location and reduces head loss.
- Ensuring pipes sizes are adequate (2" should be adequate if suction lines are run separately).

Is the Hot Tub a completely separate system with its own pump/filter/heater/etc?

I will make sure to have it in writing that they need plumbed seperately.

The hot tub is actually a portable one that we are having retaining walls built around and a trap door for maintance. So yes it will be all seperate, we wanted to be able to use the hot tub in the winter, and it seems like its the best route to go. As well all the speakers and LED lights are not included if we don't do the portable and just did the inground version..

Another question, this might be silly but. What I dont understand are the difference between steel walls and composit walls? Why is one better than the other? pro's and con's of both?

I do not know much about them, but clearly the composite eliminates corrosion concerns ... not sure what negatives the composites have.

Only thing that stands out is the cost of the stamped colored concrete. I live in Los Angeles County, a place known for overpriced construction costs. I'm paying $7.00 per square foot for stamped and colored concrete. I only have about 950sq ft done in a slate type stamp, so you should either get some kind of discount for your huge deck, or see if you can get the deck done separately. At $7.00 a square foot, you would save about $12,500.00. Enough for a small car!!!

1) Which company is the automatic cover?

Here's quotes I got from San Fran CA

1) One overpriced guys said $34 flagstone, $15 stamped concrete, $13 broom concrete
2) My old landscaper says same price as what he did for me 10 years ago, which is $20 connecticut flagstone, $18 Arizona sandstone, $7.50 broom concrete.
3) Other one says $24 flagstone, $8.50 broom concrete.

One negative of stamped concrete is if it cracks, then patch may stand out. Pavers looks nice but I wouldnt want to take the chance of getting weeds/moss between all those cracks.

Find out who the sub contractors are cause during the downturn some general contractors took all the money and went bankrupt and never paid the subs. Then the subs put mechanic liens on house and guess what happens? You got to re-pay the subs even though you already paid the general !!!

The pool cover is actually APC. We have seen a few of his projects with the specific cover and are happy with the apperance and how they operate.

Back to the stamped concrete! I did call around to a few places yesterday and they said with the scope of the project we would be looking at about 14-15 a sq foot. They said because of the rest of the project through the builder he seems to be giving us a pretty good discount. I think around here stamped concrete isn't very common so the cost is more. Like the cover we saw some of the stamped concrete on his other projects and love the look and it looks like quality work. We were origionally going to do full range blue stone but the cost just was prohibitive. Then we looked at Techo block and their look alike full range blue stone and it was still coming up to roughly 17 dollars a sq ft. With that cost he is including some detail work, like a darker colored concrete coping, sealing, and a few designs that I know raise the cost quite a bit.

I do worry a bit with settling whether we do pavers or concrete because the amount of grading thats been done around the house after the house foundation was built. It was built about 2 ft higher than originally planned because of a slope from the neighbors. We know the pool when dug will be on virgin land which makes me feel a little better, but still worry about the settling...

Regarding the pool walls, steel vs. composite. When we built our pool, I did some research to determine the pros and cons. The composite doesn't rust but steel is stronger than composite. From what I learned, a steel wall pool will last at least 25 years and probably longer. Since I figured that I wouldn't still be here in 25 years, I opted for stronger walls. If you opt for steel walls, you might try to get a discount since you were supposedly getting a 2K discount for composite. I doubt you'll get much tho, when I bought the pool kit, there was no price difference between the steel vs composite wall kits. Good Luck and enjoy the pool!

Well, a small update. we signed our contract about a month ago. We decided to go with the composite walls, the Alpha Only pool walls which seem to be a good route. We are starting the pool on the 25th of this month, and it will be a bit of a longer drawn out process since the house is still under construction. We couldn't be more excited though!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well, we are officially starting our pool tomorrow afternoon!! They went out to the house today to lay out the pool! It was a bit of a mud pit but should be somewhat dried out by tomorrow! Can't wait! Also trying to decide on a pool robot... Thinking of the dolphin quest!

Re: new pool - we have finally started!

So, we have a hole in the ground and they set the walls today and poured the footer!!! We will be starting plumbing and bonding tomorrow! things will slow down a bit once they finish those two items due to the slow progress of the house. We are wanting to make sure we don't pour the stamped concrete until stone and stucco is finished (roughly 3-4 weeks from now) Our Autocover should be delivered tomorrow as well! The builder seems to think they will do the bottom of the pool next week and set the liner and then set the concrete forms so we can run the conduit for the out door kitchen and out door speakers and also for the hot tub. :)

Pictures!

image by cdsdeg, on Flickr

Pool hole from the master balcony

full length steps

And just after the footers were poured and the trim was painted on the house!

Re: new pool - we have finally started!

Its been a tad bit since I have updated this! With the house build, vineyard and pool build we have our hands full! Liner has been put in- sat for close to a month with no pump due to electric. We just had the hot tub delivered!! Yay... hoping to get concrete poured in the next few weeks- waiting for stucco to finish! :)

IMG_2781 by cdsdeg, on Flickr

Some of the stone work going on!

IMG_2808 by cdsdeg, on Flickr

:)

Very nice, love the liner. Regarding the Stamped Concrete, if done right up north $11.50-13.00 is the going rate. Down south they prep is MUCH easier and they have much cheaper labor.

Make sure they use Rebar for that price, it looks like they have already prepared the surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.