Just drained and refilled...now ????'s

Jan 11, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
I just drained and refilled my pool due to extremely high CYA and an algae problem I could not get rid of due to my negligence before I found this site. Anyways...here are my current levels.

FC - 0
PH - 7.5
TA - 110
CH - 280
CYA - 0

I am doing the pool calculator to get my levels up for everything. It appears as though the only thing I need to do is raise the FC and CYA with the sock method, yes??

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Yep, go ahead and add enough CYA to get you to roughly 30 ppm via the sock method. Then you can add chlorine and shock the pool until your FC holds overnight, the pool water looks clear, and your CC is 0.5 or less.

You can also go the route of using dichlor as cholrine and CYA source. The dichlor route does add CYA very, very quickly though so use the pool calculator to calculate the impact of dichlor if your choose do things that way.

Ok...everything is fired up...I have the sock by the return in the pool with the CYA. I do have a question about my filter. I have a 4 cartridge Hayward filter system and after firing everything back up my starting pressure is at 20 PSI with brand NEW filters. Is this right? My PSI was always high with my old filters but I figured that was due to them being so dirty and old. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It does seem a little high but that is a pretty big pump (next time you need to replace it, you should consider something smaller unless your in-floor cleaner requires it, or if you have jets or water features that require it, then a 2-speed might make sense). Other possible factors adding to the pressure could be return plumbing size and design, if you have a heater inline, and eyeball size.

The pressure does drop to about 14-15 PSI when I have my infloor pop-ups going. I do have 2 water features as well (one little slit waterfall and another big rock waterfall). If I have the waterfalls going, my pressure drops to about 10-12 PSI. I guess since I have so many demand items that when they're all turned off the normal PSI is really high.

P.S. My pool is looking amazing right now! I might jump in even though it's 54 degrees.

With those features you probably do need a pump that big. However it is overkill when you are not using them. Next time you need to replace the moter or pump, I would put in a 2-speed unless your electric rates are really high, then a variable speed might be a good option.

excid182 said:
.S. My pool is looking amazing right now! I might jump in even though it's 54 degrees.
:goodjob: My kids have been known to swim at that temp (mn winters can be long).

Interesting that your pressure is LOWER when running the floor system ... I thought usually it was opposite. How many wall returns do you have?

My previous house had 3-4 wall returns and running just those was a lower pressure than just the in-floor system.

I will look how many returns I have when I get home from work. I am thinking 4 but don't quote me. I will take a picture of my setup as well and post it.

If I were to get a variable speed pump, would all of my other components (waterfall, pop-ups) function properly?

excid182 said:
If I were to get a variable speed pump, would all of my other components (waterfall, pop-ups) function properly?
It should and you can use automation and program it with different speeds for different configurations...but that costs money if you don't already have automation and the pump will also be more expensive. A two speed is a very good alternative and probably significantly cheaper while still saving power when the high speed is not needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.