Baton Rouge info needed

Jul 31, 2009
Gonzales, La
Considering building a gunite pool in South Louisiana. Had a pool builder out to show him our site. We discussed many things. I'll try to describe the pool as best I can. If I missed anything please reply. I want to make sure I have all the angles covered before I cut them loose to start.

-15x30 rectangle 3.5 to 6.5' depth with steps on each end
-Salt water pool
-6x12 Baha deck on one side with 2 bubblers and two umbrella holes
-3 deck jets on opposite side of pool
-Slate coping
-Diamond bright finish(color of our choosing)
-Sitting bench "L" shaped in deep end
-Variable speed pump(no manufacturer discussed) 3hp
-Filter not discussed(need recommendations)
-Pipe sizes not discussed(need recommendations for drain, suction and returns)
-Light not discussed
-No cleaner discussed buy I prefer Polaris. w or w/o booster?
-rebar size 1/2" on which spacing? 8, 10 or 12" spacing?

We also discussed something to seal the gunite after it has dried. It was a powder mixed with what looked like water. A few shakes and it hardened in a glass. What is this and is it needed??
Is one pump sufficient for returns, bubblers and deck jets?

If there is anything I might have missed? If so please advise. I want to make sure everything is covered and listed before we cut them loose.

Thanks,
Todd

Attachments

• Pool Todd_Acosta_004.jpg
    Pool Todd_Acosta_004.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 204
Looks like about a 15K pool

You will not get a good payback on that big VS pump in a pool that size. I would suggest a 1HP 2-speed unless you REALLY want the deck jets. The 1HP may not be big enough to push them the way you want. A separate pump just for them is a possibility

SWG's come in lot's of different brands and sizes. Most on the forum don't care much about the brand but an adequate size is important....a little over-sized is better.

Learn more about filters. Thousands of words here on the forum with lots of opinions. Decide on sand, DE, or cartridge and then get one a bit oversize regardless of which type you decide on.

1.5 " pipe is adequate. 2" pipe usually costs very little extra and I would probably pay $100-150 for it but not much more than that.

Lot's of light choices and you need to do some homework. I like the standard incandescent lights and would get 2 smaller ones (300w) for that pool. Point them away from the house and your sitting area so they don't glare at you.

Likewise, hundreds of cleaner choices. A suction type is adequate for that pool. You can p[robably clean it quiker and perhaps better with a pressure cleaner or a robot for about $500 more.

I have no knowledge of rebar spacing nor any knowledge of the "sealer" they are talking about. The diamond brite finish will seal the gunite.

Thanks,
Todd[/quote]

Great advice from duraleigh as usual. Many people do get a separate booster pump for deck jets. You might also check out the LED pool lights. They are pretty neat as they can change colors and they don't use as much electricity as the incandescent lights do. The downside with LEDs is that they are much more expensive. And that is so true about the direction that the light is facing. We have had more than a few folks on here who have their pool lights facing the house and once the construction is done, there isn't much that one can do about it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know why he told me a 3HP pump. Maybe he just wants to sell me a high priced pump. I was thinking I could use a 1-1.5hp pump for the pool returns, variable speed or 2 speed is the question? Will a 1hp pump be adequate for the bubblers on the Baha/Tanning deck and 3 deck jets?

And I'll use the larger 2" pipe. I'd rather spend alittle more now than having trouble later on.

I like the LED lights and would like to be able to change colors if wanted. Does this require a control panel of some kind?? If so I would like to incorporate the bubblers and deck jets onto some type of control where I could turn them on remotely.

As for filters I dont know much about cartridge or DE filters. I always had sand on my AG pool. I do have a private septic system on the property but do not wish to back wash into it if I dont have to. Might have to pipe it to the ditch drain side for discharge straight to the ditch.

Thanks,
Todd

PB came back today and brought a quote sheet. Here is what is had on it. Tell me what you think

Pool Shell
15x30 shotcrete pool shell
2 main drains, 2 skimmers and 4 returns
4000 PSI shotcrete: 8" thick sides and bottom, 12" bond beam
2 1/2" sch 40 pipe
Aquaron CPSC Hydrogel pool shell protector
Diamond Brite plaster(Tahoe Blue)
Natural or brick coping
6x12 Tanning ledge with 2 bubblers and 1 umbrella stand
2 steps/swimouts. One on each end
1 500w 12 volt LED Intellibrite light

Pump/Automation/Salt Generator/ Cleaner

3hp variable speed Pentair Whisperflow pump
3 laminar deck jets
Pentair Cartridge Filter
Pentair auto leveler
Polaris 280 cleaner w/booster
Pentair transformer and salt cell
Electric service to pool pad provided by homeowner

Price $42,750

He said something about using GALVANIZED REBAR. Is this available? Is this needed? Or maybe something needed because of salt pools??

What is the recommended Tanning ledge water depth? Can a spa light be added to the water on the tanning ledge?

Is there a wired control panel available instead of wireless?

Find out the size of the filter and the swcg. You don't want to skimp on either of those. I'd get the specific model number of the pump too. The variable speed pump isn't a Whisperflo it'll be an Intelliflo.

Galvanized & epoxy coated rebar is available but it's not really needed. If they're supplying it, take it!

In my opinion if you are going to have deck jets I would use a vs or vf pump that way you can adjust the flow and get the desired look that you want. This is the way we do them so the homeowner can get the desired results without paying for another pump.

Thanks guys. I guess the larger pump may not be as bad I had thought. If I can use different programs or speeds when using the water features I guess you need the larger pump. And can slow down the pump speed for normal filtering.

Automation: If I want to be able to control everything remotely from the pool area. What is required??

Thanks,
Todd

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Experience counts! How long has your builder been in business? Do they have a service department? A builder that installs 2 1/2" plumbing with an Intelliflo pump knows hydraulics. If you can get a jandy automation system with pentair equipment you will be very happy. iAqualink by Jandy/zodiac allows you to control your pool from any web enabled device. I.E. iPhone, Android or tablet anywhere you have Internet access!

Typically people really want it with a spa, so you can push a button and start it heating. Without a spa, you could still use it to control deck jets, lights, and your cleaner. It's up to you to decide if that's worth it!

There isn't much on this pool that would require automation. The pump it's self can be programmed to change speeds, though only on a schedule and not in response to other things. Automation would allow you to turn a valve which turns on the bubblers and turn up the pump speed a little to make the bubblers look just right with a single button press. All of that can be done manually though it means turning a valve and tapping a few buttons on the pump. Nothing else appears to require automation here.

Thanks guys!!! Not having the automation would save me a couple grand right off the start. I am perfectly capable of walking 25' and switching modes on the pump if need be. I do not believe I want the water features running all the time anyway?
Forgive me but I'm gonna ask plenty of questions. If I go with the LED light will I be able to change colors or are they able to change colors by just using a switch?? Or is there some kind of color changing control box also??

Thanks,
Todd

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.