Considering VSP-Water Velocity Loss?

Barfo

Feb 21, 2013
California
I'm considering installing a variable speed pump to replace my 1 3/4 motor. It works well but has a slight water leak on the bottom. I just had a large renovation of my pool. Unfortunately, I receive fall debris in my pool from trees and I love the current return velocity I get. How low will the velocity go with a VSP? Are there ways to increase it? Thanks.

Attachments

• Poo.jpg
    Poo.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 40
A variable speed pump is variable, it can certainly match whatever water velocity you are getting now if you want it to. However, that isn't going to save you nearly as much on electricity as if you ran it at a lower speed with a lower water velocity. Water velocity is not really the important thing for cleaning up surface debris. All you really need to do that is a certain minimum flow rate and the correct return aiming to create a circulation pattern that keeps the water moving past the returns, even if slowly.

Thanks for the information it is very helpful. I'm more concerned because my last pool, IG, plaster 15000gal, had six returns and my current pool has just three. I also plan on adding solar panels to the roof of my house to heat the pool. I just want sufficient power to operate that as well.

Most pools don't require much in the way of pump power. I have solar on a two story roof, 4 returns, 2 skimmers, and a main drain all run with a 1/2 HP two speed pump.

If anything most VS pumps have more power than will ever be required for your pool but a VS can also be adjusted for nearly any flow rate to achieve optimal performance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.