New TF-100 Owner.. results and questions

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
pH: 7.2 (yay! brought down from 7.7 with three cups of Muriatic Acid)

TC: 0 (eeek.. should I be shooting for 3ppm)?

Bromine: 0

FAS\DPD: NA (After adding the powder, the solution never turned pink??)

TA: NA (Should the water stay red after so many drops, or will it only turn red briefly?)

CYA: NA (I added all of the mix to the view tube and I could still see the black dot)

Thanks all!

Justin

You should add some chlorine right away, and again each evening. It is also time to get started on adding CYA.

With brand new fill water and no CYA added you should aim for FC of 2. A couple of hours after adding CYA adjust your FC target based on what your addition should raise the CYA level to. It takes one 96 oz jug of 6% bleach to raise FC by 2 in your pool.

The TA test should start green. The first few to many drop tend to have little visible effect. As you near the actual level the drops will start turning the solution partly or mostly red and then back to green as you swirl. The final drop will turn the water red and it will stay red for several minutes. Generally it only takes 2 to 5 or perhaps 10 seconds of swirling for a temporary red to go away, so the permanent red is fairly obvious. If in doubt add another drop and see if the color changes any further. Any drop that changes the color further should be counted, but a drop which leaves it at the same red as before does not count.

On CYA, the black dot showing clearly with the tube full is zero. If the black dot has gotten hazy and vague with the tube full I call that 10, though it is rather subjective.

FAS-DPD - you don't have any chlorine, so no pink.

Thanks.. My plan:

Pickup 6lbs of stabilizer at local PS or Walmart to get CYA to 30. Should I use any type of white sock, or panty hose when adding via skimmer? Do I just lay the sock in the skimmer basket? Should I remove the pucks as well?

Add 96oz of 6% Clorox to get FC to 2ppm.

Thanks again!

Yes, either or both skimmers. It is best to remove the basket and puck(s) and pour very slowly. When you are done put the basket/puck(s) back in. That lets the CYA go down the pipe and into the filter, where it will dissolve slowly without harming anything.

Ok, I added 96oz of Clorox and 2lbs of CYA (figured I would start small).

I can see the granulars coming out of the returns. Some is setting at the bottom.. I thought this was ill-advised as the acid can hurt the liner (hence the need to use a sock)?

Justin

Justin,

Are you saying you poured CYA in the skimmer and it's coming out the returns?

If so, is your filter on the "filter" setting or "recirculate"?

If it's on "filter", you have a major filter problem.

^^ correct. The pump is set to filter. I have never seen anything before come out the returns. Maybe I just added the CYA too fast?

I guess I will use the sock method moving forward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe I just added the CYA too fast?
Nope. Something else is wrong. Whatever you put in the skimmer goes thru the pump into the filter and then must travel thru your filter media before it can pass back to the pool.

Something is wrong with your filter if the CYA passed right thru.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.