Automatic Pool Cleaner screen keeps clogging

Mar 30, 2012
Hello there,
The problem I am having is that the small screen which is in the line supplying water to the pool cleaner always gets clogged after a day or so so every day it has to be cleaned or the cleaner will stop functioning due to lack of pressure. So this got me thinking... In my pump/piping setup you can see that the pressure out to the pool cleaner is before the DE filter. I was wondering if anyone sees anything wrong with capping that out flow pipe right after the Jandy valve and installing another jandy valve after the DE filter to supply the pool cleaner with filtered water so the little screen doesn't get clogged so often. Only reason I can think of is that there may be a pressure decrease, but I think it will still work fine. I also thought of installing a larger type of filter/screen in-line to the cleaner, I just don't know what I'm looking for.

If there are any other ideas out there, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

EP

IMG_20130223_112014.jpg

IMG_20130223_122330.jpg

IMG_20130223_122423.jpg

IMG_20130223_122318.jpg

small bits and pieces that pass through the skimmer basket and the pre-pump basket.

Sounds good. I don't know who the hec installed this system this way, but I'm in agreement. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks again everyone. I'll report back after this is done.

EP

Well I just want to say thank you to everybody who chimed in on this little issue I had. It turns out that normally a booster pump is used to supply the pool cleaner with water pressure but the person who had the house before took that part out of the equation and just plumbed into the system which works fine now. I don't really see the reason and having a booster pump , it works for me, ymmv, as my pool isn't that big really.

again, thanks to everyone.

EP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.