Is this a problem???

bigfunky

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2012
Wayne, PA
Our pool was finished in November except for the plaster and water, I have been noticing this effervescence coming through the pool walls and through some of the joints on the face of the hot tub. I took a wire brush out and tried to scrub it off the rocks and mortar but its pretty stubborn. Does anyone know if this is a potential problem. PB says not to worry its normal. I don't want the nice stonework on the hot tub to be ruined by this.

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

Efflorescence is not a structural or dangerous problem but it is certainly unsightly and can be VERY difficult to remove. I would remove it from the finished areas with a bristle brush and a solution of water/muriatic acid. I would start with a 4:1 water/acid ratio but be prepared to strengthen it. You will know it's working when it "sizzles" or foams up.

Use it only as needed because it will react on the grout, too.

Getting efflorescence on unfinished gunite/concrete is very common and not a problem. Getting efflorescence on finished stone work is common enough, but suggestive of the possibility of real problems. Efflorescence happens when water seeps out through the mortar. However, water shouldn't be getting behind the mortar of finished stone work in the first place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.