Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Being a new pool owner I've been trying to figure out just exactly how all the pool plumbing works and what's connected to what and all that. I've been having a hard time figuring out just exactly what the function of the main drain in the bottom of the pool is really for. Since this house had this pool when we bought it last year, and it was an estate sale where the owner had passed away, and it was built most likely in the late 60s, we have no information on how it's all run. So in looking for diagrams I came across to examples that are different in the way the main drain connects. Is there any way to determine which way ours is done?

There's this where it's run to the skimmer:
swimming-pool-draining.jpg

And this where it's run straight to the pump:
system_schematic.gif

I would assume it would probably be helpful to know how it's connected if you wanted to like drain the pool or something like that, right? Also, we have just a manual vacuum which plugs into the back of the two holes at the bottom of the skimmer...does the main drain have any affect on vacuuming based on how it's plumbed?

Thank goodness for this site! I've learned so much already and really want to get a good understanding of how our pool works!

Here's the pic of all our plumbing. I do know it was a pretty simple setup when it was originally put in. We have one main drain and one skimmer and 3 return jets. Let me know if you'd like a better/different angle photo. :-D

050.JPG

That pretty much tells us what's going on. It's pretty much a given that the skimmer and main drain are tied together. Check the bottom of the skimmer and see if there's a diverter in it. It'll either look like a twinkie or a space ship. If there's 2 holes in the bottom you probably need a diverter.

Go to the photo library and you'll see a pic of the two different styles. They're used to divert the water between the main drain and the skimmer and to seal off the skimmer if the water level gets too low so the pump dosen't starve for water.

Seems like the photo library used to be easier to find -- click on Pool School at the top of the page, then Complete Table of Contents, then click on Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment under the Handy Reference Material heading. Or just click the following link:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/visual_encyclopedia

There are two pictures of the diverters (that I saw) a little over half way down the page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.