Would this indicate the leak we suspect?

JulieS1007

Feb 21, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I read in the pool school about air bubbles coming from the return jets in the pool. Champagne bubbles were common when the pump starts up, but it didn't say anything about if champagne bubbles continue. Our pump has been running 24hrs on recirculate for going on 3 days now and we're having champagne type bubbles coming from the return jets. We've suspected that we have a leak in the pipe that runs from the skimmer to the pump. The ground is always saturated in the area just out from where the skimmer intake is. Our concrete around the pool is only 3' wide and we pulled up a ton of old pavers off the edge of the concrete so it's just dirt and some weeds now until we have the concrete redone (hopefully) in the next couple months. And it's just been soggy and muddy all around that area since then and we think the water level drops faster than it did even before we removed the pavers. So would champagne type bubbles indicate a leak like that? Or does the pump basket lid just need to be lubed again and resealed? I don't notice any air in the actual pump basket.

Lots of bubbles point to a suction side leak. The soggy ground that you describe though points more towards the existence of a leak in that area. I would investigate that area further.

Good morning, Julie,

Sometime leaks like that are tough to find but I think you are on the right track. Inspect that pump basket VERY closely to see if you can see those bubbles perhaps speeding through there. I assume the pump basket is all the way full of water, right?

That wet area is supicious but, on an encouraging note, the underground pipes are not often the source of air leaks.

It'll take some detective work but you will find it. Do you have a clear plastic relief valve in the top of your filter where you can let out excessive air? Pump running, it should probably show no water in that clear area but, when you open the reielf valvce, the air should hiss out and then water spurt out shortly thereafter. Let us know if it is or isn't doing that.

(Your kit will ship today...Thanks!....and I think you should have it Tuesday to do your first tests :lol: )

duraleigh said:
(Your kit will ship today...Thanks!....and I think you should have it Tuesday to do your first tests :lol: )

Yay!!

We've been bypassing the filter these past 3 days (a whole other post...) so I know it's not from that. However, on closer inspection of the pump basket I now can see tiny bubbles zooming around in there. There seem to be a higher concentration on one side in particular so when I clean out the basket in a while in preparation to turn the filter back on, I'll be sure to relube the seal and hope that's the issue!

So here is something interesting. You know how we've been recirculating and bypassing the filter? Well, that's when the bubbles were showing up. I turned it back to filter and no more bubbles! :scratch:

Although a leak at the backwash dial valve usually leaks water out, having it on re circulation could be drawing air in due to the fact that you have no pressure differential there. It could/would probably draw through the stem, or handle of the valve.

If you have the pump running 24/7 right now, doubtful you have water leaking out of the suction line, rather a structure or skimmer leak in that area.

Some Sta-Rite pumps will squirt a little water between the lid and "pot" when you shut them off. That's how i would look for a leak in and around the pot of the pump. If you can observe closely the pot while switching off the pump, you may be able to see a leak or crack in the form of a squirt of water just for an instant right when you shut the motor off. Have to look closely as it will be quick.

Good Luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.