AGP Light Recommendation

May 14, 2008
Staten Island, NY
Hi. Time to open up the pool and I wanted to install a light before I fill it up. I was looking at the Aqua Luminator but saw some bad reviews on another forum. Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with pool lights in that same price range (about 100-150)?

Thanks,
Rick

I bought a NiteLighter for my AGP when I had it installed. The NiteLighter is an over-the-rail light, which is probably my only complaint about it. I ended up trimming some of the underside of one of my rails so the rail would sit flat over the light. Other than that, it works pretty good.

I just checked, and now you can get a color changing NiteLighter for $96.

NiteLighter

EDIT: Corrected product name.

EDIT: I liked the looks of the color changing one so much, I ordered one myself this morning! :-D

Thanks Mike. Seems like it gives off plenty of light. Just worried about the kids knocking into it but if I place it by the ladder it should be partially shielded. A little worried about having to trim the rails also. What did you use to do this? Not crazy about doing anything to upset the structure of the pool (including removing rails to install light)

IIRC, I used a combination of a Dremel tool, pliers, and box cutter. If your rails are resin and similar to mine, the bottom of the rail will be composed of plastic support webbing that is molded to sit flat on top of the pool wall. I figured out where I wanted the light, and then used the tools mentioned above to trim out the plastic webbing enough that the mounting bracket for the light doesn't cause the rail to bow at that point. You can mount the light without doing any trimming or notching underneath the rail, but you would need to roughly center the light under the rail so that the rail will flex enough to be able to put the screws back in on the rail end.

I can take a picture of what I did, if you'd like.

I just purchased the color changing NiteLighter myself. There is _no_ way I can install it on my doughboy the way it is intended. Even if I did hack into the top rail, the gap between the rail and the wall is almost nothing.

I plan on modifying the post end cover to be able to bolt it directly to the end cap. We'll see how it works out.

I was considering the light that went over the return, but on my oval pool the return is 1/3 of the way up the long side. Light dispersion from this location would have been not so great.

Antares said:
I just purchased the color changing NiteLighter myself. There is _no_ way I can install it on my doughboy the way it is intended. Even if I did hack into the top rail, the gap between the rail and the wall is almost nothing.

I plan on modifying the post end cover to be able to bolt it directly to the end cap. We'll see how it works out.

I was considering the light that went over the return, but on my oval pool the return is 1/3 of the way up the long side. Light dispersion from this location would have been not so great.

Good thinking! I never even thought of that. Only problem might be the water level, as you have to have the light submerged to a certain point (there's a marking on the casing).

Uhhhhiya?? Is that right next to Indaner?? :lol: Too funny!

MikeInTN said:
Antares said:

Good thinking! I never even thought of that. Only problem might be the water level, as you have to have the light submerged to a certain point (there's a marking on the casing).

Uhhhhiya?? Is that right next to Indaner?? :lol: Too funny!

On my pool I measured that it would be 1/4" higher than using the intended hardware. Doing a submerged eyeball test, that puts the minimum water level line about 3" below my normal water level.

Uhhhhiya, yep ... between Indyaner and Pensyltucky.

Mike - pictures are always helpful.

I was planning on placing the light under where the ladder comes into the pool (steps are open, so it shouldn't block too much light). The only problem I see is the rail where the light comes under would get a lot of traffic. Is this potentially bad for the light or the rail?

Rik2084 said:
Mike - pictures are always helpful.

I was planning on placing the light under where the ladder comes into the pool (steps are open, so it shouldn't block too much light). The only problem I see is the rail where the light comes under would get a lot of traffic. Is this potentially bad for the light or the rail?

I'll take one either this afternoon or tomorrow.

Your ladder's not resting on the rail, is it? Regardless, it shouldn't affect the rigidity of the rail, because you remove just enough of the webbing to fit over the mounting bracket of the light - approximately 3 - 4" wide, and maybe 3/4" high if that. With the light being behind the ladder and being protected somewhat by the ladder, I think it would be OK too.

Our fellow threadmate Antares has a good solution too, if you don't want to cut into your rail.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, here's as good a picture as I could get on how I trimmed back the support webbing under the rail:

rail_mod.jpg

I had forgotten that I actually removed all of the support webbing in that one particular spot. However, the support webbing is not that thick as you can see. Since you have folks stepping on your rail, I don't know if notching out the support webbing like I did is a good idea or not. You can always just slide the bracket for the light under the rail without notching the rail, but it will cause that rail to bow up some where the bracket is at.

OK, I got my new multicolor Niteliter installed, and took some pics. Initial impression is that it's not as colorful as I thought it might be, but then my blue liner probably as a lot to do with that. Some of the colors really show up well, though..the blue and green in particular. Eh..for $100, it's not bad. BTW, I bought my light from Swimming Pools Etc., and they had the best price by far on the net. $96 at SPEtc, and roughly $130-$150 everywhere else I looked.

niteliter8.jpg

niteliter7.jpg

niteliter6.jpg

niteliter5.jpg

niteliter4.jpg

niteliter3.jpg

niteliter2.jpg

niteliter1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.