Hello Everyone. My first pool question.

tgreen

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 8, 2013
West TN
I am a first time pool owner. My pool is scheduled to be installed when the weather gets nicer in March or April. Right not we are trying to figure out how we want the deck jets plumbed in. Each one will have a seperate 3/4" ball valve to control the flow. Is it best to plumb them to the existing main pump or add an additional pump just for the jets. The jets require a max flow of 5 gpm at 11 ft head to produce a 10 ft arc.

If we add a pump just for the jets, is it OK to tie the suction of the additional pump to the same spot where the main pump suction is. I was worried that the main pump might starve the additional pump for water.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi tgreen,

I'm not an expert - hopefully one will chime in, but I wanted to share how my deck jets are set up. I have four that are tied to the main pump. I also have a fountain that is on a separate pump. Here's what the setup looks like:

pad5.jpg

The four valves on the left are for the jets. They are plumbed in after the filter and before the heat pump and SWCG. The main pump isn't in this photo. I don't have any issues with flow on the jets. I don't have to open the valves much to get a 10 foot arc.

The pump you can see is for the fountain. It is tied in to the main suction. There is a valve before the pump so I can close it off when the pump isn't on.

I think your answer is going to depend on how powerful your main pump is - hopefully someone else can provide more details.

Good luck!