AUTOPILOT - Digital 220 and Intelliflow VS pump

Feb 21, 2013
Hi Everybody,

Please help me as I am not sure which SWC works better on my current setup.
I am located in Phoenix, Arizona and have a lap pool 75x25 in-ground, about 46k gallons, Pentair DE filter, broken 6 years old Zodiac/ClearWater SWC LM-40.
I run my Intelliflow VS pump from 12 to 7 hours, most of the time on lowest speed and water is very clear. So far, I only narrowed down to AUTOPILOT - POOL PILOT Digital 220 with RC-42 (SC-48) manifold - DIG-52 - available for 1,159.00 at pool-spa-supplies.com, and also noticed good prices on CompuPool CPSC48-Salt-Chlorine-Generator-for-In-Ground-Pools-up-to-60000-Gallons/CPSC48.htm.
I don't know if Intelliflow lower speed works nice with a AUTOPILOT SWC which seems to require a minimum flow of 20 gallons per minute, so I'd like to heard opinions on that. Also, any suggestions regarding AUTOPILOT vs CPSC48?

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!

The AutoPilot unit is excellent with several nice high end features (like a text display). The CPSC48 is also a good unit, but it is far more bare bones. It has everything you really need and none of the things you might like but don't have to have.

The AutoPilot tends to work down to 15 GPM, though it varies a little from unit to unit. This is almost never a problem with an IntelliFlo, since even at the lowest speed they will usually be putting out 15 to 25 GPM (though this varies depending on your plumbing).

The main challenge when using either of these units with an IntelliFlo but without an automation system is providing a safety backup that will turn power to the SWG off when the pump is not running. The best solution is to add a current switched relay that detects when the pump is drawing electricity and use it to turn the SWG on and off. The flow sensor in the SWG will also serve the same purpose, but it is not generally considered reliable enough to be your only safety interlock.

Welcome to TFP!!!

I do not know much about those SWGs, but have read that the most efficient speed on the Intelliflo is not the lowest speed, but is usually around 1000 rpm. Also, each SWGs will have some minimum flow rate required to close the flow rate sensor, so you may need to adjust the pump speed to consistently activate the SWG.

Thanks much for the quick reply. My IntelliFlo pump is using the onboard controler, so NO automation system available. I can probably wire the SWG into a separate timer, but still does not provide 100% safety turn power to the SWG on/off the same time, due to the pump seasonal scheduling. It seems like the best solution is to use a current switched relay.
TIA

Thanks much for your input. I just ordered the following package Autopilot Digital 220 with RC-42 (SC-48) manifold - DIG-52 . I would be nice to know the exact make/model for the current switch relay needed for this application. Also, a basic install design/schema to ensure a third party installer will wire it properly.
TIA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.