green pool

No it isn't safe to get in a pool with algae. If there is algae then there can be pretty much anything else in the water as well. It isn't likely to kill you, but it could have unpleasant effects. Try shocking the pool with only the brushing you can do from outside the pool and see if you can get it to hold at least some chlorine level before you get in it.

Keeping the cover on will slow the growth of the algae dramatically but it won't kill it. I would leave the cover on till you are ready to deal with it and then do everything at once (cover off, fight algae).

is it possible I still have algae and not know it? Pool looks crystal clear, chlorinator on max. Normally I can have it
set on 2 (1-9) I'm only getting .5 of FC I'm adding ultra bleach every couple of hours. I brushed the whole pool.
The pucks are dissolving. pump running 24/7
It does take a few hours for the FC to drop that low after dumping the bleach in
could it be my cya is inaccurate? The pool store also tested it and got the same results as I did
reading:
PH 7.4
FC .5
TA 120
CYA 50
Any ideas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, Mike,

Chlorine in your pool is reduced by two things...the sun and organics (algae) in your pool.

By adding the FC in the evening, testing the result, and then testing again the next AM before the sun hits your pool, any chlorine loss (greater then 1.0ppm) is attributable to algae.

So if your 5.0ppm you started with tonight is down to 3.5 or lower tomorrow am, that's a good indicator there is still algae in your pool.

You need to shock if that's the case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.