Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

green pool

I looked under the winter cover yesterday and saw green. Is it okay to get in a pool with algae?
    I have to get in to brush the walls and floor.
    Did test the water:

FC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 90
    CYA 30
    13,500 gallons
    Mike

13,500 gallon AGP, 1-1/2hp pump 150# sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    No it isn't safe to get in a pool with algae. If there is algae then there can be pretty much anything else in the water as well. It isn't likely to kill you, but it could have unpleasant effects. Try shocking the pool with only the brushing you can do from outside the pool and see if you can get it to hold at least some chlorine level before you get in it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Would it help to keep the winter cover on to kill the algae or would that hinder it? (I removed all the water
    and other junk from the top of the cover)
    Mike

4. Back To Top    #4
    Keeping the cover on will slow the growth of the algae dramatically but it won't kill it. I would leave the cover on till you are ready to deal with it and then do everything at once (cover off, fight algae).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

is it possible I still have algae and not know it? Pool looks crystal clear, chlorinator on max. Normally I can have it
    set on 2 (1-9) I'm only getting .5 of FC I'm adding ultra bleach every couple of hours. I brushed the whole pool.
    The pucks are dissolving. pump running 24/7
    It does take a few hours for the FC to drop that low after dumping the bleach in
    could it be my cya is inaccurate? The pool store also tested it and got the same results as I did
    reading:
    PH 7.4
    FC .5
    TA 120
    CYA 50
    Any ideas
    Mike

6. Back To Top    #6

forgot TA reading is 120
    Mike

7. Back To Top    #7
    You might have algae or ammonia. Does the FC level fall at night as well as during the day? If so you need to shock the pool and maintain shock level until the FC holds steady overnight.

8. Back To Top    #8

I had some ammonia test strips for my fish tank I checked it appears to be zero
    Mike

9. Back To Top    #9

I added more bleach about a .5 hours ago and got about 5 FC reading so I should be near that level before the sunrises?so if it holds should I look at my CYA?
    Mike

10. Back To Top    #10
    Right.

11. Back To Top    #11

Jason I want to thank you for all your help. I want to ditto that about the other post for the MVP
    Mike

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry
    Hi, Mike,

Chlorine in your pool is reduced by two things...the sun and organics (algae) in your pool.

By adding the FC in the evening, testing the result, and then testing again the next AM before the sun hits your pool, any chlorine loss (greater then 1.0ppm) is attributable to algae.

So if your 5.0ppm you started with tonight is down to 3.5 or lower tomorrow am, that's a good indicator there is still algae in your pool.

You need to shock if that's the case.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I 'll be up first thing tomorrow to check, thanks
    Mike