expat canuk- new user and new pool- in costa rica

Feb 21, 2013
costa rica
this is a new pool. finished filling it monday - took 4 days using well water. initial test results were

FC - 0
TC - 0
pH - 6.8
TA - 40
CH - 50
CYA - ?

tuesday night i added 500 grams of a granular chlorine with 70% available chlorine. revised test wed. am results were

FC - 3
TC - 6
pH - 6.8
TA - 40
CH - 50
CYA - ?

wed night i added 200 grams of a granular chlorine with 70% available chlorine. revised test this am results were

FC - 0
TC - 1
pH - 6.8
TA - 40
CH - 50
CYA - ?

the water is now showing a slightly green color.

i am in costa rica and having trouble finding a proper test kit, but have now at least located a CYA kit- arrives tommorow.

i can now purchase SODA ASH, GRANULATED CHLORO- or liquid bleach if better, CYA, sodium bicarbonate

i know i need to raise my pH and CYA and add chlorine-

how much, and in what sequence is best recommended

i am surprised the water is showing green already.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you confirm that type of chlorine you are using?

CYA will be 0 ppm in the well water ... so you have to add it. If you are using dichor / trichlor, that will be adding CYA with the FC, so you have to keep track how much you are adding to make sure the CYA does not get too high. If it is cal-hypo, which I am guessing it is, then that is adding calcium and your CYA will still be zero. With no CYA, the FC will quickly be burned off by the sun, so that could be why the pool is turning green.

Have you read through Pool School (button at upper right) to get a full understanding of the pool's chemistry?

I see in your signature a tablet chlorinator ... I would recommend you avoid using it to avoid your CYA growing out of control

The liquid chlorine is much easier to control if it is reasonably priced down there.

Start using the poolcalculator.com to determine how much of each chemical you need to add to get certain effects.

Good luck with your pool Halifaxblue. I'll be in Costa Rica from 3/19 - 3/26 so get that water perfect before I get there :-D

Actually, I am waiting myself to fill (probably next week if they can get the interior finish complete) and will be using TFP and the methods described herein exclusively to maintain my pool.

Best of luck in CR! :cheers:

Sciz Milson

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.