Hayward Perflex Filter Head Cracked - replace part or unit?

May 11, 2012
There has been a slow leak from our filter since we moved into our home 6 months ago. The other day, I noticed that it was leaking considerably more. I had our pool guy check on it and he discovered that the filter head has a hair line crack that is spewing water now. Being a new pool owner, I feel like I'm going only by what our pool guy is telling me. He is recommending to change out the whole unit for a cartridge unit (Hayward $450 installed) and not mess around with just replacing the parts. It is an older unit, I should add. I'm not so sure I want him to decide what filter we go with. I like to research the heck out of my purchases especially bigger ones but this needs attending to now. So here I am am. I'm leaning to just replacing the filter head. What would you suggest? Should we just suck it up and go for it?

Sorry for the lack of pool specs...I've got a pool guy ;)
but hoping to change that soon.
18000 gallons estimated

Re: Hayward Perflex Filter Head Cracked - replace part or un

Welcome to TFP!!!

You may find that replacing just the filter head might be a significant portion of just buying a new filter. Also, If the top cracked, how likely do you think it is that the bottom will crack soon too?

Seems that everyone prefers a different type of filter and most are happy, so the type is a personal preference. Ensure that you go big enough though and you will be happier with having to clean the filter less often.

Assuming you are correct on the pool size, I would look at these as a good size: 250+ sqft cartridge, 3.2+ sqft sand, or 48+ sqft DE

If you go cartridge, you really can not go too big. It is possible depending on your pump, to get too big on the sand or DE if the pump is not capable of adequate backwashing.

Re: Hayward Perflex Filter Head Cracked - replace part or un

I think that is way too small ... unless this is an indoor pool or VERY low environmental exposure. Like I said, for a cartridge, you can not go too large ... just that they cost more money.

Now if you are paying someone to clean the filter every couple weeks, then I guess it does not matter. But most people here maintain their own pools and often the recommended cartridge sizes do not need to be cleaned but once a year out of a sense of duty and not because the pressure has gone up 20-25% of the clean pressure to warrant a cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.