Setting up Intex AG 15x42...what do I need?

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
We just set up our Intex AG 15x42, metal frame pool yesterday. Its been properly stored for over a year and I can't remember what to use when starting it up. Apparently the Intex website says the pool holds like 3800 gal of water. We have country water(well water) so its a hard water that we'll be filling with. I want to head to the store today to get what we need to put in the water, but don't want to start filling it till i know what I'm buying. Can anyone help me out? Kids are anxious to get in it..so would like to hopefully have it up and running by this week sometime. It has the original pump to it too.

Bleach and Stabilizer. Probably muriatic acid to adjust pH, but you'll have to check the water to see what your pH is like. That's probably all you'll need.

I'd add one jug of 6% bleach to start, then put a pound and a quarter of the stabilizer (CYA) in an old sock and hang it in front of or near the return. Pour the bleach slowly while the pump is running. Steer clear of anything powdered except the CYA to avoid cloudy water. You'll probably have to test your chlorine level twice a day until the CYA is dissolved. Then you can go to once a day. Try to keep the chlorine at 3ppm or higher at all times.

julie492 said:
Should I buy several jugs of bleach to keep on hand? And the CYA, do I just get the kind from Walmart?

If your Walmart carries CYA, then it's fine. You will probably be adding two or three cups a day of bleach once things get settled. The bleach will keep a reasonable time if you keep it out of heat and direct sun. Walmart GV brand bleach is one of the best deals, but if you have an Aldi nearby, they are usually cheaper. If you don't have a test kit, Walmart carries one that will get you by, around $15 the last time I looked at it.

If using well water you will need to be aware that iron may be an issue nd require a sequesterant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.