Pentair Intelliflo VS priming problems!

Feb 18, 2013
Hanford, CA
Howdy gents. I've had a Pentair Intelliflo VS installed since last June. It worked perfectly all summer and for the first time ever I didn't battle algae in the hot months.

Problem though, I can't get the dang thing to prime for the life of me! It starts up, ramps up to top speed and reads "priming". Occasionally it pulls in large amounts of water, but the second the power reverts back to a lower setting, BAM! The basket empties and it runs dry for a period before giving me the alarm and shutting off. Other times it will never start out pulling water, just a trickle from the pool to the pump. The basket sits mostly empty. When I add water per the manual, it drains backward, into the pool and never stays in the basket. I've tried bleeding the air from the filter until water shoots out and that works off and on, but I just can't get this thing to prime and run with a full flow of water. Any thoughts? I've read the old thread where a guy had similar problems, but mine seems different. It's not the "priming time" it's that the dang basket is empty and therefore the pump can't prime itself. Pump is only about 12-18" above pool surface. Thanks for the help. :drown:

Hi, welcome to TFP! First thing I would do is check for air leaks. Make sure the drain plug on the pump basket is snug, and make sure the pump basket lid fits securely. Apply a thin layer of silicone pool lube on the lid's o-ring to ensure a good seal. The water in the pool should be 1/2 to 2/3 up the skimmer opening to prevent the pump from sucking in air while it runs. Check for leaks in the pipe joints by pouring a thin stream of water over each pipe joint and watch for water being sucked into the joint.

Thanks. I'll look at those areas. Any additional help or suggestions by the pros out there would be much appreciated
Suction side leaks are one of the most common, yet hard to find issues. One thing for certain, though, your problem IS coming from the suction side of your system and that is causing your pump not to prime. It has nothing to do with the equipment on the pressure side nor any other part of the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.