Need help choosing SWG system.

slytek

May 31, 2010
Please help me as i cant seems to make up my mind on what i want.
I have 20x40 in-ground,vinyl liner. 36k gallons. Located in NE Ohio. I only use pool from mid May to mid Sept. I run my pump 24/7 during that time, electric bill is high but water is clear. Time in between its covered (tarp pool cover) and winterized.
So far i only narrowed down to Autopilot with CoPilot, i found that its cheaper to buy it in pieces vs complete kit. I'm saving almost $400 by buying all of the below separately:
AutoPilot SC-60 Repl. Cell , Pool Pilot Digital Power Supply ,AutoPilot Large CoPilot Upgrade Kit for Digital units. I'm assuming this gives me the same exact thing as if buying Co Pilot large kit.
I don't know if i even need CoPilot but its seems as nice thing to have to go with Autopilot, i'd like to heard opinions on that. Could someone please shed some light for me as far as what else is available out there as far as SWG systems for my needs. I want something that wont break and has cells that last more than once season as well as decent warranty and support when needed.
Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!

I like AutoPilot equipment. I have one of their Total Control systems and love it (except for the ORP sensor, but that is inherent in ORP). They are generally very well thought of, perhaps a bit expensive compared to other brands.

For an outdoor residential pool there is hardly any point in getting the CoPilot unit, unless you regularly throw multi-day swim parties. Anything less that a two day swim party will be handled just fine by the SWG alone, with no significant benefit from the ozone unit. Ozone really only becomes worth it for lots of people swimming all the time, such as in a commercial pool, where chlorine needs some assistance with the oxidation process.

I'm not sure if your strategy on ordering will get your the manifold or not. The replacement cells don't usually come with the manifold. And I believe that the CoPilot upgrade kit only includes the portions of the manifold that are unique to the CoPilot version, and not the remaining parts.

I was under impression that CoPilot upgrade kit comes with full manifold without cell, not just extra parts for existing manifold. If that's the case, i cant really buy it in pieces. Can anyone confirm if thats the case with manifold? I guess i don't really need CoPilot either as its just 2 adults and 2 very young kids. When i called Autopilot they said that that CoPilot add-on will give me absolutely clearest water there is. With the help of this forum, i manage my pool with liquid bleach from Aldis and i get it pretty clear. I figured its time for SWG to save even further on chlorine. I'm assuming i will be saving money on chlorine and my back from dealing with gallon jugs? What other reputable SWG manufacturers are there that based in US?
thank you again.

SWG generally do not save money ... they are more about the convenience on not lugging bleach and worrying when you go out of town.

There are a few threads that attempt to estimate the cost comparison, and once you take into account the cell replacement for a SWG every 3-5 years or so ... the costs are pretty similar.

Hayward and Pentair are other big names in the SWG (and all other things pool) business.

How about Digital 220, when purchased separately, i understand it comes with cable to power up cell, what about tri-sensor cable, does that come with it or it will come with manifold?
I think i rather have convenience of not have to buying chlorine as well as leaving pool for a week or two without worrying about it even if it cost me move than just buying bleach.

The Digital 220 comes in two parts. The first is just the control unit, and the second is a cell plus a manifold. They also sell the cell separately, which is what you see most of the time, but the version with a manifold is fairly easy to find. Some dealers also sell packages that include control unit, manifold, and cell.

The trisensor cable is attached to the trisensor, and comes with the manifold. Last I heard the cell cable came with the control unit, but it has been a few years since I checked and they might have changed that.

I have the DIG 220 a little over a year,I am very pleased with it so far,I ordered the whole unit A2419 -Autopilot
this is for 20,000 gal,you would need the A2415 for 50,000, they do have one for 40,000 gal.A2417, but I think that is not enough for your 36,000 gal. pool.My unit came with everything all of the cables ,power supply ,cell,manifold,except the bonding wire and the wire for 110 or 220 volt power,these 2 items are not expensive.

Thank you for all the replies. I think i made my mind of getting Digital 220 now.
What are the pros/cons of having it wired to 220v vs 110v? Does it function exactly the same? if i go with 110, i can just plug it into my outdoor outlet near by. for 220 ill have to have electrician come out. If it functions identical, why do people chose to wire it up to 220?

First thing I would check is what is your pump wired for,if it is 220 I would go with that ,You have to remember I would never just plug it into a receptical just because it is there,The pump always has to be running when the SWG is on,you can turn off the SWG and have the pump running.You can run the power in coordination with the pump.Just rember you must have water flow when the SWG is on !!!!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pump is wired for 220. I know that pump needs to run during SWG operation, if pump stops and SWG is connected to another power source like 110v outlet, there are sensors that will stop SWG from working?
In regards to 220v, is it a good idea to have both SWG and pump on the same circuit or it needs its own 220 circuit?

You either want the SWG controlling the pump, or have whatever turns the pump on/off also turn the SWG on/off. While the SWG does have a flow switch that prevents the SWG from running when the pump is off, they are not considered reliable enough to be your only level of safety, so there should always be another way that insures the SWG is never on when the pump is off. Either way, the pump and SWG should share a circuit and the SWG should be setup for the same voltage used by the pump.

The AutoPilot DIG-220 system should be installed on the same circuit as your pump. There is a flow sensor that will shut it off in an emergency (ie pump failure), but shouldn't be counted on for more than that.

The new DIG-220 systems we have found are not coming with the pump relay to control the pump through the internal timer, however AutoPilot is sending these out free of charge when asked. They are easy to install and will allow the DIG-220 to act as a timer for your pump and salt system.

This feature is very useful when super chlorinating for 24-48 hours, as it will keep the pump running until the 24 or 48 hour clock is up.

I currently have dedicated 220v circuit going to my pump. I have 220v z-wave controller on that circuit that i hardly ever use to control pump on/off. I hardly ever use it because pump is on 24/7 during my months of use. At the pump area i have your standard on/off switch mounted on the wall and that is what i use to cut power off to pump when i need to backwash filter and whatever else.
So to my understanding i can take 220v thats going into the pump right now, and wire that into some sort of 220v power distributor and from there i can get my DIG220 and CoPilot powered as well as wire my pump to it or thru a control relay from DIG220. To my understanding, if i wire pump thru relay from DIG-220, ill be able to use controls on it to turn my pump and and off vs using my normal power switch that will cut power off to everything. Right? Because of SWG and Copilot, will i be able to shut off my pump at night for few hours(program autopilot to do it)?

Yes. To use the Dig-220 to control the pump you need to request the optional relay. The relay is free, but not included by default. That will allow you to program the pump run time from the Dig-220. The normal way to wire this would be to run power from the existing switch to the Dig-220 (instead of it currently going to the pump) and then from the Dig-220 relay output terminals to the pump.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this question. The Tri-sensor is NOT included in the Upgrade Manifold, so it will need to be ordered separately. Everything else, as you've listed, will then give you a complete system.
The Power Supply will operate just as efficiently on 220 volts or 110 volts. As mentioned, it should match your pump voltage.

I currently have dedicated 220v circuit going to my pump. I have 220v z-wave controller on that circuit that i hardly ever use to control pump on/off. I hardly ever use it because pump is on 24/7 during my months of use. At the pump area i have your standard on/off switch mounted on the wall and that is what i use to cut power off to pump when i need to backwash filter and whatever else.
So to my understanding i can take 220v thats going into the pump right now, and wire that into some sort of 220v power distributor and from there i can get my DIG220 and CoPilot powered as well as wire my pump to it or thru a control relay from DIG220. To my understanding, if i wire pump thru relay from DIG-220, ill be able to use controls on it to turn my pump and and off vs using my normal power switch that will cut power off to everything. Right? Because of SWG and Copilot, will i be able to shut off my pump at night for few hours(program autopilot to do it)?

what Z wave contoller do you use becuse i plan on running mine for about 8 to 10 hrs a day.

Wow this is an old thread.

I'm still in the process of planning my pool, so I am not using Zwave for that purpose, but I do run Zwave for some home automation. I use a Mi Casa Verde VeraLite. I'll be honest, while it's convenient for certain things like lighting control and running window blinds, I don't know that I would ever trust it for anything important. The technology is a fire and forget control technology to some extent. It will reattempt a few times to reach a device, but it will time out after a short period and then that's it. That means it's possible for something to get left on or off until the next scheduled event to control it. It happens occasionally for a variety of reasons.

Good luck!
plat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.