Holes in Plaster

Sep 14, 2012
Austin, TX
I've been reading on and off here while we've been building our inground pool in Austin, and so far have been pretty satisfied with our pool builder. I do however have a question about the plaster, which has been in for about 3 weeks. By the drains at the deepest part of the pool, we have five or six small holes, between dime and nickel sized. I haven't felt like getting in the water since it's still too cold, but they're definitely noticeable. Our pool builder said he's never had this happen before, but he wants to patch the plaster by just jamming in a wet ball of plaster in the hole and hand smoothing it. Thoughts on this approach? It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. On the other hand, the pool is not leaking (first three weeks of being filled it lost maybe a total of an inch, and we have a fountain), and the gunite held water before the pool was plastered.

It is a 16,000 gallon pool, about 5.5' deep at its deepest point. We are going to go to a salt system, but were holding off until we resolved this issue to avoid questions with the plaster. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pictures, sorry they're not clearer:
uDUiD38.jpg

gh9I6Ao.jpg

carolina pool said:
Not sure what you gain by second guessing his method of repair. He is the one standing behind the work.

I'm not second guessing it, I'm asking if anyone has seen this issue or the proposed fix. I have asked him for an extended warranty on the plaster given the issue though - because I'm concerned there could be spalling at these holes. As for standing behind the work, I certainly hope he does, especially considering I haven't paid him his retainage yet.

carolina pool said:
If they are holes they can be fixed. It might be hard to match the color exactly. They are too big for spike marks. Its an unusual size for holes.

Thanks for that feedback, I'm not as worried about color as structural integrity. The builder thinks he can match the grey fairly easily anyway.

Now I'm off to dump seven sacks of salt into this bad boy and try to keep the kids out till it gets warmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.